1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replace conveyer chain on Sno-way when?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by DeereGuy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I'd like to replace the chain on my 6' SS spreader before it goes. Hard to tell with all that rust when to do it. Also the rear chain guide drum is worn at the ends. Should I say the ends that looked like washers to keep the conveyer from
    cutting into the SS body is all worn off. Is this part replacable or should I just weld some more steel spacers to it to keep the body from getting potentially damaged if the chains wander? Anyone know? Thanks

I bought it used and only have one season on it. It was obviously not well kept off season.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you are referring to the main conveyor chain, fluid film the pi$$ out of it and let'er run. See if the links and crossmembers are solid, surface rust is OK. they last a long time if not majorly abused. if it turns freely and is not rusted through it should be OK.

the roller drum is replaceable but if all the bearings are still good I'd weld new guides on.

3. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Ya I think the conveyer chain will hold but the drum is a little suspect at this point the limiting end on the spool are non existant at this point and I did notice some wear because the previous owner did not have the tension even and the chain did run to one side too much. The bearings are fine though so maybe so some work on it. If the drum and axle are available at a reasonable cost I may go that route. Thanks for the input.