1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

repeated days of 1" snowfalls.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by The mayor, Jan 28, 2007.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Ok here is the situation. Like most I have a 2" min to show up for plowing a residential drive. What would you do if you had 4 days in a row of 1 inch snow falls. What would you do. How would you handle that situation. There would be 4 inches of snow on that drive but it took 4 days.

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Most of my properties have a 2" trigger as well, but instead of getting repeated 1" storms, we are getting a dusting every night. We have a forecast of a "slight chance of snow" over the course of the next 5 days. This is purely ********.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I go by snow that falls in a snowfall or "accumulation". So, it would depends on circumstances between snowfalls. If the first one melts or melting is predicted, then I wouldn't plow. But if there has been an accumulation of snow to meet the trigger with no intervening melting and temps are expected to stay low, then I would plow. In other circumstances, you'd plow when the trigger is met, regardless of expected tempuratures. As always, talk to your customers and get a feel for what they want. I have some that want access for themselves to get in and out of thier driveway. They want plowed regardless of what is expected. I have others that only want plowed for emergency vehicles and heating oil delivery trucks (these are Summer residents and vacation home owners).

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Well it hasn't even come to that here. We'll get a dusting overnight, it'll melt by morning, and then it'll be sunny and 20 degrees for the remainder of the day. Then, later that night, chances are it'll happen again. It's just turns into a foolish waiting game.

5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I think that's about what we are expecting this week. I will probably put down de-icer so it isn't slick in the mornings when people start going into their workplaces & daycares. I love those shopping centers!!!

6. chevyplowman

chevyplowman Junior Member

I had this issue before. Got 3/4 to 1 inch, not enough to bother with. A couple of days later got small dusting. Still not enough to bother with (they don't like the lot salted). Temp stayed about 10 to 15 degrees. No sun and cold temps and the small amount of snow suddenly became packed down with traffic. Then we got another small amount of snow and still had cold temps. They still didn't want me to plow. A few days later they call me and want the lot cleared now. Couldn't get the packed snow up, had to salt. Now they leave it up to me to make the call.:rolleyes:

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I would've plowed on the third day. Hindsight says do it on the 2nd and 4th, but if they were mine I would have plowed on the 3rd day.

8. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

LOL I hate this weather.We are dealing with same stuff.Here is our forecast for tonight after midnight snow will start.1 inch by morning then 1 -3 by noon.Then 4 other stations say different.So my plan of attack is salt tonight before midnight then come home get a few hours of sleep and be back out by 6 am to see what is going to happen.I talk to my customers sometimes they make no since either.2 in trigger I asked you want me to start at 2 inches correct yes that is fine.What if we get 1.5 do you want anything done any salt I ask no wait till we get closer to 2 inches.LOL:dizzy:

RCGM
    Brad

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Its the same here! The most snow we have seen are just heavy coatings. It sucks!!! :dizzy:

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

In the past week, we have recieved three 1"-1.5" snowfalls. I have salted my commercial parking lots and a few elderly residential customers each time. If it is over a dusting, than i'm out atleast salting commercials...just my 0.02;)