1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repaiting Fisher Plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DARCO_PM, Sep 20, 2010.

1. DARCO_PM

DARCO_PM Junior Member
    from CT

Has anyone refurbished their Fisher plow! Also tell how can I get new stickers?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

You can buy the decals from a Fisher dealer (priced not so bad either) or you can buy the on Ebay.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

We blast and repaint ours every couple years after they start peeling. We don't bother with new stickers though.

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Take the link in my sig. I show how I painted mine as well as other things.:D
    T.J.

5. DARCO_PM

DARCO_PM Junior Member
    from CT

Can you tell me where did you send your plow for sanblasting & how long did it take them?
    Also I've seen that you mentioned couple different primers. Which one did you use for the plow?

What steps should I take?:dizzy:

Dariusz
    860-462-1119

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Carls Monument and Sandblasting in Stfd,CT.
    I think I used self etching primer.
    Follow the steps/instructions on the can.
    T.J.

8. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I painted the plow last year, still looks real good, like said before, dealers carry all fisher decals, and can get the ones not on the shelf. This year I sandblasted my MM2 headgear and its getting paint tomorrow morning. The whole set-up will look like new,...minus the one dent on the side of the plow..lol..post pics when yours is all done!

9. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I repaint my plows at least every other year. They take a beating and plows flex a lot, bad news for paint. I've found that matte black rustoleum works amazing for the headgear. I use fisher yellow paint for the plow that carquest mixes me, works good. They also have the decals. Best advice, any paint job relies heavily on the prep. Sand sand sand and then sand some more. Get all the rust and old paint off first, the job will look factory. Good luck!

10. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I use rustolleum Ive never ever had to do one twice! I could not imagine having to do one every couple years Id break down and buy a stainless if I could not make paint stick.

11. Flipper

from CT

We don't have a problem with the paint sticking. It just wears off the face every few years. Then it starts rusting. Easy enough to blast them quick and then paint them. I usually take a weekend in October, before we get into leaves, and paint and service plows as needed.

12. brad96z28

gravel drives or something? How are u putting on the paint spray or brush?

13. Flipper

from CT

We spray them, two coats of primer and usually 3 color.

Its the majority of the plowing we do. Lots of private roads, long drives, and lots with long pushes. The higher speed plowing just wears the paint off. Ever see state DOT plows? One season and the face is bare metal.

My brother has a Jeep with a plow we use only for small drives. It was painted 8 years ago and still looks good.

14. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Its not that I have to, I'm just really picky with how my equipment looks. About every two years, you see little spots of rust coming threw, usually at the ribs. The rustoleum works great though! I just like my stuff looking factory fresh! Like I said, plows flex a lot. Paint starts to flex, that makes bubbles and small cracks. When i start to see little bubbles here and there, its time to grind it down and do a quick once over.

15. brad96z28

Thats why I brush them on. Ypu would need 10 coats with a gun to get paint on as thick as with a brush. I see some that I have done 5,6,7 years ago that look like the day I did them. I guess it is the type of plowing u do.And the way It gets put on.

16. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Brushing does put a thicker coat, but it leaves a different finish. I like mine looking like they just come out of the stove from fisher engineering! lol. Everybody prefers something different. I actually kind of enjoy stripping and paintin my plows. They always look brand new! Nothing looks worse than pulling into a customers yard with a rusty plow and holes in your truck.