1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repairs & Maint Costs Per Hour

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by danielboone, Dec 6, 2011.

1. danielboone

danielboone Junior Member

For those of you keep good records of your business expenses....What do you guys average for repairs and maintenance costs per hour of usage? Both for your truck and the plow. I know it will probably vary widely based on your type and age of equipment. I am just looking for a general range of what to reasonably expect.
  2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Ford + Blizzard = A lot
    Chevy + Fisher = A lot more
    Dodge + Western = You don't want to know... :dizzy:

3. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Lmao chevy + BOSS???
  4. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

haha :mechanic::mechanic:
  5. danielboone

danielboone Junior Member

Do any of you have any figures in the dollar unit of measure? :) I would have to think a 99 F250 and a used Meyer plow would fall somewhere between "a lot" and "a lot more", but I have yet to find out how many dollars "a lot" is equal to. Maybe many of you don't keep these kind of records. I do plan at the end of the year to take my repairs and maint costs divided by the total plowing hours to find out my cost per hour.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

way too hard to determine without knowing the trucks history.

You have to watch out for the big ones. Its the guys plowing for a 6 pack and some smokes that are the ones who learn this lesson the hardest. if you're plowing driveways for peanuts but its costing you filet mignon to fix your truck you better hope you had a good season so far...

Tires, almost a grand to do a truck now. figure 2 years out of a set of tires you use year round?
    new tranny? $3-5k depending on truck
    rebuild the front end? $100 for a u joint up to $3k for everything.

oil/wiper blades, filters, etc, not much in the big picture, I wouldn't even figure them into the picture.
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

It costs $100 in seals just to remove the wheel hubs on the superduty fords before anything is fixed.

It does not really vary much by truck. You either are keeping up on an older model or you are taking depreciation loss on a newer model. Also it varies by year. Some years you can get away with minor repairs, but the following you could be in for a complete rebuild. You should figure no less than $5000 average for the plowing season. Someone will say no way, but really if you do it for more than a year or two you will be at this number or higher. Also this figures that you are keeping your vehicle maintained properly and not driving some dangerous clunker with rotted brake lines, leaking fuel lines, no e brake, and bald tires.
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The best thing I do is save all my reciepts and tax time, that's when I do the :eek:. I spent that much!! and just hope that i made enough to come close to the repairs....on the plus side I do 99% of all the work myself, so theres no labor to add on top.
  9. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

$10/hr for a first round approx.
  10. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

Popular consensus says $15 per hour of usage for snow and ice management purposes only.
  11. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Problem with that is someone in Buffalo may go out twice or more as much as someone in Philadelphia. Maintenance is disproportionate to hours. In my experience though those numbers are low for any area, crazy low for most. This is why most people do not make money in snow removal.
  12. jklawn&Plow

I figured mine for 1 new plow and 1 new truck lasting 10 years with minimal breaksdown.
    Thats why I said 1st round approx. Should probably throw in a set of tires (I put 5k on per year) a battery. I do my own maintenance, so no labor, Noone else drives my trucks so they are not hammered. Put in a second truck and plow and the numbers are pretty low.
  13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok what about depreation of plow and truck. Gotta figure that in as well.
  14. jklawn&Plow

Depreciation is what I used
    1446.24 1st year
    4149.60 2nd year