1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repairs... Done In-House or go to Repair shop?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clapper&Company, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Hey guys

Just wanted to see if you guys did all your repairs In-house or if you sent them out to the service center?

I do 95% of every thing In-house, but I know some guys send there trucks to the service center for everything.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we were probably 50-50 before, but have a mechanic starting on monday, thank god.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's just me and a couple of trucks. Did everything myself for years. Went white collar and started going to the garage. Back to doing it all myself.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You related to Michael Jackson?
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I do as much as I can myself only the really big jobs I take to a mechanic I just dont have the tools and shop space to do everything myself.
  7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

For me alot of it depends on the weather- I'll try to fix just about anything but if its 12 degrees with 4" of snow on the ground off to the shop it goes. Its alot nicer working on a truck in a heated garage; someday I hope to have one...payup
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Guilty as charged......

Do me a favor and edit that before I get labeled a bigot:laughing:
  9. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

I've only got the one truck, 97 F350 diesel. My trade used to be pro mechanics, but small engine and motorcycle.

I have a fairly good equipped garage so I do my own repairs wherever possible. From tire changes to welding, and most stuff in between.
  10. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I Spent all day in the shop on my truck, Wenching might not be my favorite thing to do but I could think about taking it to the repair shop and paying the high bills.

I spent all day in working on my 2001 F250's front end

All new:

Ball Joints, Wheel Joints, Axle Seals, Wheel bearings, Shocks, and Fluid change in the front.

To have that done at a shop would of been nuts to pay.
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

In house.........also fix others too
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you're running older equipment, you really need to be able to do it in house/yourself.
  13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I do everything myself. From my lawn mowers to the truck and everything in between. Only thing I really couldnt do is a transmission, although I may try. I bet I have saved thousands by doing this stuff myself versus paying someone.

Only part that sucks is I have a three season garage and a four season driveway, lol
  14. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Well Clap weres my consultation fee every 10 mins you called with a new question while fixing your front end on your truck.. LOL Glad I could help Buddy.
  15. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Were hook you up lol....

It was more like 15mins.... GEEZ....
  16. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

everything in shop/in house except majors like transmissions etc etc
  17. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

poor folks have poor ways. Unless I've got something under warranty, its off to the shop for some busted knuckles and miller lite. thank god my wife and just bought a place with a barn large enough that I can pull my truck in with the plow on and still have plenty of room to spare all the way around. now I just gotta get moved in so I can go thru the whole front end from wheel joints to the rotors and everything in between.
  18. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Your right what was I thinking xysport
  19. If he gets a consult fee, I should too. lol
  20. APLC

APLC Senior Member

do most everything in my power (with the help of you guys) in house, and my uncle is a master mechanic with a sweet A*$ lift in his pole barn and about 30k in Snap On and does everything in there.