1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repairing/Upgrading 93 F250 Suspension

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tosa93F250, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

I bought this truck last fall just before winter and I'm fairly certain it'shad the same springs in front and back since it was new.

At this point the front end has about 1" between bump stops and sxle in the front when the plow is on the ground. When I lift the plow the bump stops are resting completely on the axle with no suspension travel left.

I can't afford to fix it right now but do plan to in spring/summer this year. I was wondering if a set of F350 springs would just bolt on and if they would be stronger than the F250 springs in front.

Also, if I got a set of 350 springs for the rear would that increase the load capacity any?

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the front and rear F350 springs will swap right in. the F350 has taller lift blocks in the rear than the 250and also has helper springs that most 250's do not have. other than that, the stock suspensions are the same.

3. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

So changing the front springs will help the truck carry the weight of the plow better right?

And to increase the load capacity in the bed I would need the helper springs and the F250 springs right?

4. mikespenny

mikespenny Junior Member

NO,
    The f350 springs are actually LIGHTER than the 250 springs, because the solid front axle creates more leverage on the springs, requiring a lighter spring to do the same job. Even though the axle can carry more weight, the front springs on a 350 are definitely thinner than the ones on a standard 250.
    If you want to have the truck carry the load better, get some leafs added to your pack, or swap to a different set of springs.
    Personally I hate the TTB on my truck ,and am swapping it to a dana60 front axle once this storm passes.
    check out www.powerstrokenation.com for some more information on the topic of old body style springs and suspension.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

be careful with using an add-a-leaf on the TTB front axle. they will increase the spring rating, but most add 1-2" to the stock ride height. that will cause uneven tire wear with this axle.

an extra 1-2 inches on the F350 axle (dana 60) would not affect tire wear. its the independant axles you gotta be carful with. yet another reason to swap to a dana 60 front end.