1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repairing People's Past Butchery....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by derekbroerse, Sep 6, 2005.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've spent the past two days preparing 'The Bomb Part II' for it's safety check...

It absolutely astounds me the butchery the previous owner has done on it, not to mention the "pro's" that he had work on it in the past too.

Items like the exhaust system that rubs the front driveshaft and has the mufflers (Cherry Bomb glasspacks with megaphone style tips!! On a work truck???) not even beside each other, one actually almost a foot further back than the other even though it is wide open space... The whole exhaust looks like it was built by a 12 year old.

Items like all the wiring that is not GM issue... held together ala twist-and-tape or his apparant favorite, household marettes! No wonder none of the rear lights work, everything is GREEN from corrosion!

Items like the hole in the rocker panel that appears to be stuffed with a rag and bondo'ed over...

And my absolute favorite....

The left rear hub assembly (brake drum included, its a full floating 14 bolt axle) held on loosely with a 'home-made' nut!

Yes folks, I'm not kidding--this thing appears to have disintigrated the outer bearing at one point (chewed up the axle shaft and hollow stub assembly really badly). They didn't even file off the burrs before reassembling it. A cheap Made-in-Mexico bearing and seal got crammed on over top of it all, held down with a nylock style locknut with the hex ground off... naturally there was nothing to grab it by so they tightened it with a hammer and chisel! It wasn't even tight, as the whole assembly had at least an eighth-inch of endplay. No sign of any of the proper hardware.

Did I mention I needed a puller to remove the brake drum?? The axle stub was so badly galled from the bearing failure that they must have used a sledge hammer to install the brake drum--I needed a heavy two-jaw puller to remove it... the inner bearing and seal stayed firmly attached to the chewed up stub, while the outer bearing's inner race shattered (from being forced off its mangled perch).

I caught this because there was a lot of gear oil coming out of the back of the drum. Probably because the seal was shredded from rubbing over a rough surface... Looks like I need to replace everything from the stub out. Good thing I have a parts axle!! :p

You know what was really funny about this? The truck is 2006 Inspected for NY... has the stickers on the windshield to prove it. Apparantly they didn't look too closely.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  2. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

That's disgusting..their are us out there on the road that are flying past them at hih speeds..makes you cringe when a person is at highway speed and along comes a truck like the one you just described!..i know of a guy who 's tie rod broke on his firebird so what'd he do..he tired the separation together..with a bicycle inner rubber tube!..even when i was truck shopping last year the salesman was trying to get rid of it, i asked if it was safetied for the road..his repy "i'd have that ready for you in three minutes"!!..what the hell are people really driving out there you have to ask yourself!!
  3. derekbroerse

Well, I know (because I weighed mine once) that the brake drum/hub assembly weighs upwards of 80 lbs... add to that two large tires and steel wheels, lugs, retaining ring, stainless steel hubcap etc.... and you could potentially have a 400lb projectile flying completely out of control towards you at highway speeds.

I just came in from dealing with the Police/Ministry here. I sold a car in June to a trailer-trash-ex-stripper type.... this is the second time the cops have called here saying the car is sitting somewhere (last time it was on a highway, this time in a public parking lot) with no license plates etc. She has still never titled the car.

This time I went out to see it first hand--turns out she is living in an apartment there. I was going to repo it but it wasn't worth a potential fist-fight etc. with her and her other drugged up friends... so I called the cops back and told them to go ahead and impound it, I didn't want it back afterall (its a junker Honda, just had a nice CD player in it I wouldnt have minded!)

So that is what they are doing--meanwhile I went to the Ministry of Transportation and explained the situation and gave them a copy of the Bill of Sale and all the info I had on the buyer. They took our name off the ownership of the car. Now I am betting she can't get the car back as she needs to title it in her name first, but then she'll be up the creek for not doing it when she bought it!! :nono:

I'm soooo tired of dealing with garbage people like her.....
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

LOL, it sounds like a lowballer used to own it. :angel:
  5. derekbroerse

He was a construction contractor. Can you believe he used to haul an excavator behind this thing????

I'll try and get a picture of the nut later....

I mean the one on the spindle, not the guy who did it! :jester:
  6. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

I'll try and get a picture of the nut later....

I mean the one on the spindle, not the guy who did it!
    LOL!..I love your truck/plow set up BTW..sure looks like there's no shovelling invloved when snow white shows her face.