1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repair Services

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by REBEL4845, Nov 3, 2008.

1. REBEL4845

REBEL4845 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Hello, I am not new to forums, but new to this one. I am interested in starting a repair business for fixing those mishaps that happen to equiptment while plowing. I have contacted Western to see the dealer requirements as well. I have a 40x60 shop with good tools to work with. I have been a bodyman for the last 15 years and help manage the shop now. I am looking more for additional work to my fulltime job rather that a full time plow repair shop. What I am interested in is:
    What parts do I need on hand?
    How much is the going rate per hour?
    Are there interchangable parts between manufacturers?
    I have welding skills and have been fixing wrecks long enough to have common sense on repair versus replacement of some parts. Any insight would be appreciated. Positive or negative. Thanks Dan

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to the site. You want to be open all night to fix plows during a storm? Most guys fix their own equipment after they are done plowing. What is your shops rate? What are the local garages shop rates? For parts I would keep hoses, fluids and basic truck maintenence items along with the basic plow parts you see for sale in a plow dealers shop. JMO

3. REBEL4845

REBEL4845 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks hydro for the reply. I dont mind being open late and starting early. My shop is 50 yards from my house. As far as labor rates go, the bodyshop is 46.00 per hour versus 80.00 that all the mechanic shops get. That is a pretty large span. The only plow dealer around has boxes and stuff all over the place and its hard to tell. There were two shops in the area and now there is only one. There is no competition.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Most plow companies sell a reapir kit. Most of the items in it are what breaks or needs replaced when plowing. Check out thier websites and see whats in each kit. If you stay in the lower range for labor rate you should be ok. Check out some of the plow prats suppliers to see what they stock. A welder and tools will get alot of stuff fixed plus a few parts and you will be in business. Good luck.

5. JVRLandscaping

JVRLandscaping Junior Member

My uncle's shop had a meyer test bench ($300 on ebay), spare e47 and e60 pumps, spare angle rams, rebuild kits and seal kits, hoses, belts, pins, meyer and western skis, trip springs, buyers spreader motors, and augers. He also had fluids, switches, blade guides, and some wiring harnesses. I also suggest having a heavy duty 210 mig welder or even a stick welder and heavy duty torch set with a grinder and a half inch drill with good bits. For rebuilding pumps, we found that transmission rebuilding benches work well because all of the fluid runs down the back into the drain.

6. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

It sounds like you are on the right track to a good business. If you live that close to your shop, you don't actually have to be "open" all night, if you wanted to you could just answer the phone from home if needed. Being available is key in the snow removal industry, because most plowing doesn't occur during regular business hours. Do you strictly want to be Western? I would try and do more than one brand if possible, that way you can open your doors to more customers.

Good Luck and welcome to the site.

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Dan
    The best advice I can give you is to call jerre at Jerres Service in Erie PA. Just goggle the name and you will get a phone number. That is all that Jerre does and he is busy year round, most days are well over 12 hours for him. He is a Blizzard Wizzard and has great fab skills. He is always thinking outside the box, and he has customers from all over the us and canada. I drove to Erie for a dump box from him. Be ready to spend some time on the phone and don't call during a snow storm. You might even want to email him and he can be very busy most day.

Good Luck Mike

8. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

hot water pressure washer is a must
    pins
    hoses
    pistons
    cutting edges+ bolts
    lights
    wipers
    list goes on and on
    make sure your fast to