1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repair or flatbed...?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by exmark1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Our 2004 Dodge 2500 Regular cab long box truck got smashed into a pole last nite by one of our drivers. The box is pretty badly damaged... I am debating fixing the box which needs a drivers box side, tailgate, bumper, tail lites etc... as well as needing repairs to the passenger box side and bed floor.

I am thinking on putting a flatbed and hoist on the truck or fixing the factory box. Which would make more sense?

Where in Minnesota would I go about buying a box and hoist for this truck?

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

First place I would check for a new bed would be any local truck upfitter. The one I go to always has a TON of beds from trucks they're upfitted laying around. Always worth a shot.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If you want a box on the truck i think i would find a take off and have it painted instead of trying to fix one with that much damage.

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

5. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I would say flatbed. That's what I plan to do. But that's only me.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

know if he has any for a 01 dodge? i could use one

7. exmark1

I like the thought of the Aluminum flatbed... I am going to get an estimate on the truck in the morning to see what the insurance repair costs are going to be.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

just a heads up, its pricey, sit down when you make the call

9. exmark1

Really? How much do they run usually?

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

i cant remember exactly , b ut about 6 years ago my old boss had one with a hoist put on a ford i think it was 9 feet? but with the electric hydro hoist, i want to say it ran 6 or 7 k i think it was 3-4 k for the bed

11. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I did exactly what you are thinking. I was in a bad wreck that destroyed the bed and opted for a flatbed instead of a regular bed. It is much better to work out of a flatbed depending on what you use your truck for ,but it doesn't look as nice as it did with the regular bed. I am glad I did it because of the work I do so depending on which is more important to you, function or fashion I say go flatbed. I had a steel bed with wood floor (Knapheide) put on it for actually less than what a regular pickup bed would have cost.

12. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

There is a place local to me that will sell a brand new SRW flat bed for about $900. That is a solid steel bed, headache rack, rub rails, rear skirt, and lights included. As far as in Minn, I can't help ya. But if you look hard enough I'm sure you'll find someone reasonable.

13. exmark1

Maybe a steel bed is the way to go $900.00 sounds ALOT better, plus the weight of the steel bed would help with plowing. I would want to put a hoist under it if I go with that route just for functionality of it...
    I am guessing I have around $4000.00 or more in damage to fix what I have... the only issue is the truck has higher miles on it and is only a 5.7 Hemi not a diesel, so I am not sure if I want to be "married" to this truck by putting a bed and hoist on it and building it in to what I want instead of what would sell easier

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

well you will need to figure out if you plan on keeping it or not. for most buyers the flat bed will be a turn off

i know you can get used beds, and bumbers for around 1500 bucks. if you have time to wait , you can find a bed with the same color

I would aggree with everyone else the flat beds are really nice for working, and super visiblity while plowing

15. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

MIne was 2000 out the door so...