1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

repair of "boxed in" older blades

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by schwerhaiv, Jan 30, 2014.

1. schwerhaiv

schwerhaiv Junior Member

I am looking at my first BOSS straight blade. From what I can tell, it is an RT3 mount; but, the blade has a custom rubber cover over the front of the blade above the cutting edge and you can see that the back of the plow is rusted through in a couple large holes between the vertical braces. The plow works great and is VERY cheap. I just want something for my driveway (which is long and all uphill LOL). Had a Meyer on my old truck and it froze. I don't want that again. It has the smart hitch and everything else works. I was just going to have someone weld in some new metal between the vertical braces in the summer. I was just curious about how people have repaired these box design plows. THANK YOU for responding.
    -Joe

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

For personal use, welding patches is perfectly acceptable.

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I would just cut out the "boxed" part and then gusset instead of re-boxing it. An enclosed area promoted rust as you can see from the factory.
    T.J.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Just weld a patch and keep pushing. Mine rusted out in the same area. How cheap is it?