1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repair budget?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mountain_goat, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mountain_goat

mountain_goat Junior Member

How much money do you budget for repairs on a truck/plow combo? I'm hoping to get a per-plow-hour number, although most people probably don't track their vehicle usage in hours (I do, because I plow with a skid steer, which has an hour meter instead of an odometer). But I'm thinking about putting a plow on my F-250 and wondering how much repairs are gonna cost relative to how much I plow.

Also, about how many seasons would a truck & plow be expected to last before they need to be replaced? According to the IRS the truck ain't worth nothin' after 5 years, but in reality how long can you keep using the same truck before the repair costs start eating you alive?

Dave

2. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

WOW that is a tough question.IRS you are right.I don't mean to sound rude but you could have a truck that starts giving you problems and never lets up.Or you could have a truck that runs for 100000 and never gave you 1 problem.That is just hard to figure.I would just figure it in your operating cost.You know insurance fuel maintenance etc.By the hour Lord who knows that one.I don't figure in break down cost I just figure in maintenance.I don't know how you would figure in brakdown because a flat tire is a break down and a blown engine the same but just a little in price.

RCGM
    Brad

3. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Sorry forgot to answer the plow and truck question.Some guys always want to be in warranty so they replace every 5 years I know snoway has a 5 year warranty.But I know some guys on here are running early 80's trucks and seen some plows that old to.i think it just boils down to maintenance.Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

P.S idn't you ask me for a sample contract?If you did sorry I forgot I will get it emailed to you.

RCGM
    Brad

4. mountain_goat

mountain_goat Junior Member

I'm not talking about blown engines but I am talking about things above and beyond fluid changes. I mean on a plow truck, new springs,. shocks, ball joints, or (heaven forbid) tranny are maintenance items, aren't they? People who've been in the business a long time must know about how much they spend per year per truck to keep them running. It's gotta be more than just fluids, belts, and tires.

Dave

5. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Like I said it all depends.I have been in business for over 10 years I don't spend alot on trucks because I stay in warranty.So I am responsible for break pads,belts,fluids,etc.My trannys are covered engines etc.I buy a new plow every few years.I don't think there is no way to come to a number because a tranny in a 1500 is going to be cheaper than a dump truck tranny.And even if they are not in warranty u could put 2 chevys side by side same year same color same everything 1 may fail and the other may not fail.There is no way to determine exactly what you will spend a year on a truck to keep it running.

RCGM
    Brad

6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

It really doesnt matter....

It really doesn't matter on these trucks if it has a plow or is towing a camper,some blow trannys some loose front ends etc....You cannot say because it has a plow it needs "X" per hour in maintenance...Because some guy going to the lake may have the same issues and thought he never "worked" his truck.
    If you read the post here and on other sites you'll see front ends and trannys are common issues with all different makes.
    I have a 95 Blazer and almost all the owners on the S10 site all different years and miles have identical issues from trannys,bad oil lines,Junk front ends etc and all the trucks are used differently.
    As stated above two identical trucks off the dealers lot,one might go 100,000 miles with basic maintenance and the other may have three transmissions and a rear end???Impossible to say.