1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repair blade hinge on Old Diamond Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Len Testa, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Len Testa

Len Testa Junior Member

I have a Diamond plow 1987 model year. It has a blade hinge that recently came disconected from the springs. There are 6 horizontal springs that are supposed to keep the blade holder down. The springs are not connected anymore. I cannot find any pictures or user manuals that show how the springs are supposed to be attached. Does anyone know how to repair this.

2. wva

wva Member

hey there go to meyer site to the tech support service mans obsolete archives you'll find what you need :waving:

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Len,
    I did this a while ago. I replaced the spings and the spring sleeves.
    Here is a site that lists what you need. There is also a seller on ebay selling the springs for cheaper.

http://www.snow-plow-parts.com/snowplowparts_dmf.html

Click on Diamond and then torsion springs.

4. Len Testa

Len Testa Junior Member

Thanks for Replying. I went to the Meyer Site and found the Obsolete Files. The only pictures I found were of blades with the trip edge for Verticle springs. My blade has horizontal springs tucked in the blade just above the trip edge. I cannot undertsand how the springs were attached to the trip edge. If I need to convert to verticle springs, I do not have the bottom spring adjuster anchor on the trip edge or the top plate on the blade. Is there any way to fix the horizontal springs without having to convert to verticle springs?

5. Len Testa

Len Testa Junior Member

The springs are not broken. They all look like the picture of the new springs. Somehow, they came disconncted from the trip edge. I do not know how they were connected and cannot find any pictures to show what it looks like when they are connected. Do you have a picture of the set up?

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You either lost a sleeve or a trip edge pin. That site I gave also has trip edge (2 lengths) pins. This is all I have for now. No need to convert to verticle springs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  7. Len Testa

Len Testa Junior Member

This blade looks similar to mine. I see where the springs go. Is there a sleeve for each spring? I have six springs, no sleeves. Were the sleeves attached to the trip edge? I reallly need a picture of the trip edge attatched to blade.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I will take a pic tomorrow when it is light out. I have 8 springs not 6. I have an 8 foot plow. What size is your plow.

9. Len Testa

Len Testa Junior Member

Thanks for offering to take a picture, every little bit helps. I have a 7.5 foot plow. I will take a picture also.

I hope you have a great new year.

10. Len Testa

Len Testa Junior Member

DSCI2169a.JPG

Is it possible that the springs got turned around? Is the straight edge of the springs supposed to be on the trip edge and the curved part of the springs on the blade?

DSCI2169a.JPG

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Here are some pics.

diamond_springs_01.jpg

diamond_springs_02.jpg

diamond_springs_03.jpg

12. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Where is your cutting edge. Yup looks like they need to be "reset". This will mean taking it apart and new cotter pins. You will need a bar/pipe to do it too. This is the fun part....j/k.
    Oh your angle pins are also bent. They are fun to get out as well.
    T.J.

diamond_springs_04.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  13. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i got that same plow. it looks like your trip edge is sitting too low. meaning there is too much space betwen the blade and the edge. the curved part of the spring goes against the notched angle iron on the back of the moldboardand the straight side of the spring will sit behind the edge to keep foward tension on it. i will take a pic of mine tomorrow, i just replaced all the springs this fall.

14. clark lawn

from NE ohio

TJS can you take a side and a front pic i want to compare mine and yours.

15. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Take the link in my signature there are many pics there.
    T.J.

16. Len Testa

Len Testa Junior Member

Thank you so much for the pictures. I now see how the springs are positioned.

I plowed as a side job from 1987 to 2002 with this blade. . I only used the trip edge and never had a cutting edge. The trip edge has worn down a lot and I am assuming that is why the springs "jumped" off. I hope that I can reset them without having them jump off again. What do use the bar/pipe for? Is that to move the spings into postion while replacing the trip egde?

Since 2002 I only use the truck to do my driveway, The angle pins have been bent for years. I will replace them only if they break.

17. Len Testa

Len Testa Junior Member

Thanks. Do I have to take the springs off to reset them, or just the trip edge?

18. clark lawn

from NE ohio

to take the trip edge off you will have to take the springs off.