1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

repainting plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Carpenter98, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

My Fisher HD plow needs a new coat of paint badly. The a-frame is in great shape, maybe just a touch up is needed.

Ideally I'd tear it all apart in the spring, blast or sand to bare metal, prime & thoroughly paint. I'd also replace any questionable parts.

Realistically, my calendar is already scheduled out through April. I do additions and remodeling so given the options, I'd rather be swinging a hammer than slapping on paint. I'm typically busy until early November when work dies off until after the holidays.

We were 'spared' the snow storm that hit the east last week & the snow forecast looks bleak for the next week+. I'd like to get supplies together now to strip & refinish the plow so I can try to get it done this winter when my normal work is slower.

What is a good quality primer & paint to use? I'd like to go with a dark red or at least a color similar to my company color to make it stand out a little for effect. Also, any tips to make this process a little less miserable?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

kiss method

keep it simple stupid.

i took my plow in the shop for 12-18 hrs to warm up.

big grinder with whire wheel. hit the front of the blade to remove all loose stuff fast and easy.

1 gal of rustolium sunbust yellow and a roller . no primer needed.

looked super good and i plowed blacktop and gravel for the rest of the season . held on super good.

here is pic of fresh paint job few years ago. first pic in thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=62682
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

go to Menards and get a gallon of rustoleum
    I didnt primer either
  4. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

I guess I am over-thinking it. I'll just do the wire wheel and rustoleum...quick & cheap....
  5. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Ya, it's a snow plow, not a Cadillac.

You'll read on here where guys spend hundreds to sand blast and powder coat but you can wire wheel and Rustoleum for less than $100. It's not a fun job but it saves money, and prevents rust. That's good enough for me.
  6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i only said that way cause its mid season.

if you want new look blast - n paint in summer time.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My only suggestion is to wire-wheel it like above but I would go to Sherwin Williams and get some Epoxy Paint.

The stuff is thick and you've got to use an air-less paint sprayer to paint it on. If you don't want to deal with that then you can just roll it on but you'll get some texture from painting it on.

The epoxy paint is made for marine and industrial use so it's awesome against road salts. I used it on my Dump Body where I fill it with salt. The only spots I had issues is where I didn't either clean the metal enough and still had rust, or I went too thin with it in places.

Price isn't bad for what it is either. It comes in two parts so it's around 50 bucks for 2 gallons total.