1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repainting Fisher plow.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Pat M, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Pat M

Pat M Member

So has anyone stripped and repainted or actually shot the frame with either Herculiner or some sort or rubberized undercoating or what they use to spray truck beds with. I bought a used plow last year and looking at it before the snow starts to fall the paint is flaking. Wondering if anyone has stripped off the old paint and what they have used to repaint them frame with and even the blade.

2. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Fisher Plow Paint

I did one.
    Had it blasted down to bare metal.
    Painted the blade w/ Fisher OEM Paint.
    Painted the frame with Black Rustolem.
    New Fisher Stickers I bought on ebay.
    Looks Brand New.

plowsite fisher1 (2).jpg

3. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I completelty went through my Fisher two years ago, where I sandblasted the entire plow and brought it back to metal. I had a friend who owned a body shop prime and repaint the plow with black powder coat and then put on the fisher yellow on the front face and replaced the logo's. It still looks great today. I have heard of guys who have used the truck bed liner, but didn't use the texture to keep it smooth.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Don't use bedliner material. I have seen that and it comes out really bad. All the snow sticks to it. I sanded mine down with a wire brush on a drill (didn't have access to a sandblaster) and applies a gery primer and then a pint of Fisher yellow with the storm guard. I did the same with the frame, but painted it black. Popped on a decal and I was set to go. Took some time, but lasted all winter without a scratch.

5. snowcan

snowcan Member

Rust paint like tremclad works great, easy to touch up and cheapest, thin it out a bit with paint thinner if you spray it, about 8 to 1.

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Fisher paint is a waste of money. We shoot them with Rustoleum Safety Yellow over a medium quality primer after sandblasting. The most you will get it maybe 4 years, just to abrasive of an enviroment for paint to last, even the powdercoat will wear thin if it doesn't start peeeling.

7. RODJ

RODJ Member
    from MD

Painting Plow

Need To Paint Plow Is Rustolem Paint Okay To Paint Blade. If Not What Should I Use

8. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

RODJ,

Yes, Rustoleum paint would work fine for repainting your plow.

9. john boardman

john boardman Member

Sandpaper works great on the black push bars, frame etc. then spray with Napa's Rust Treatment dry 24hrs coat with black semigloss matches nearly perfect I cant tell where I painted and where I didn't. I also blasted my blade (Boss) brother in law is a body guy and had Base/Clear leftover from the other brother in laws screwup in his 05 Silverado (Victory Red) Blade now has Victory Red Base and 5 coats of clear. Slapped on new sticker and damn it's pretty. Touch up can now be done with factory GM touch up bottle. :nod: If it can get through all the clear coat.:nono:

10. Bryan C. King

Bryan C. King Junior Member

How much did it cost to have it blasted

11. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Sandblasting

I had my plow sandblasted two years ago and had a local body shop do it for me and I paid $150 to blast it and prime the plow.

12. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

I just did a 71/2 Fisher MM1 completely tore it down and had it completely sandblasted , cost me $300, I finished painting it a couple of day's ago and I'm in the process of re-assembling as I write this response.

13. john boardman

john boardman Member

$ 50.00 (blade only) by a guy with an industrial blaster who normally blasts equiptment for farmers. I was going to do it myself but the silica sand alone would have cost me around 35.00