1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repainting a truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I'm looking at a used 14' box truck. It's white now. When I repaint it (blue), will the paint stick to the stainless steel rivets? They're going to paint over the rivets... which I'm fine with if the paint will stick.
  2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

It should stick as long as it is preped right. Then you need a self etching primer, something specifically made for bare metal.
    Self etching primers are part of every paintline now. They are sprayed before any primer surfacer or primer sealer.
    Just make sure to specify you want a self etch product sprayed before the paint.

Some shady painters may not use one. I always try to do things right.

Hope it turns out nice,
    Mark K
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

One good piece of advice set your self up some good staging around the truck and have another guy there to help because your arm will get tired.And i think it will take about 3 gal. to do it.
  4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Thanks for the input... I'm having someone paint it for me. I got a price for $1,000 - includes cab and box with a little body work. I've had truck painted before, but not a box. The rivets just concerned me. I'm assuming then I just need to make sure they use an etching primer to make sure the paint adheres to the stainless rivets.