1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repainted my Western

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by GLS, Aug 19, 2003.

1. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I finally got around to repainting my snowplow. I ended up renting a sandblaster and a 100cfm air compressor. It took 35 bags of sand (50 lbs'ers) and most of the day just to blast off the old paint and rust. Then I primed and painted it with some rustoleum spray paint. I also bought a new cutting edge.

Before #1

before1.jpg

2. GLS

GLS Senior Member

After #1

bafter1.jpg

3. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Before #2

before2.jpg

4. GLS

GLS Senior Member

After #2

bafter2.jpg

5. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Blasting off old paint and rust

blasting.jpg

6. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Old cutting edge VS. the new edge

cuttingedges.jpg

7. GLS

GLS Senior Member

After #3

after1.jpg

8. GLS

GLS Senior Member

After #4

I'm going to get rid of the magnetic signs and get some vinyl lettering done. I'm also going to mount a mini lightbar.

after2.jpg

9. GLS

GLS Senior Member

How's it look?

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Looks really good, you did a nice job. :drinkup: Nice truck also. I see you have the newer style forged aluminum wheels on there too, hehe. So, when you coming to re-do my Western? :D Mine doesnt look as bad as your before picture though. This passed winter I put on a new cutting edge with all new nuts, bolts, and lockwashers and I also put on a new plow shock and new Western OEM blade guides and flags. What thickness is your edge? The standard was 3/8". I replaced it with 5/8". They come in 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8". The place I go to was out of the 1/2" and reccomended I go with the 5/8", so I did. I will probably never need another steel edge, this one should take quite a while to wear down. The 5/8" edge is also very heavy, it added a good amount of weight to the plow. I figure that extra weight could help it to backdrag a bit better. Im sure I have asked you this before, but here goes anyway, what motor and trans. do you have in there? Also, do you have Timbrens or did you just turn up the bars? It seems the truck handles the plow very well. I bet the dumped in the back helps too. Mike

11. GLS

GLS Senior Member

The old edge was 3/8" and the new edge is a 1/2". It weighs almost twice as much (40lbs compared to 70lbs). Now I need some new stickers and some flags.

Engine is a 350ci and tranny is the 4L80E auto.

No timbrens, but I think the bars were cranked up (i'm not the original owner). The dumper is good ballast.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you need new markers,just make your own.A piece of neon poly tube and some electrical conduit is all you need.Cut the poly tube to the correct length (make them longer than stock),and cut a 4 inch piece of steel conduit to slide over one end.Crimp it down with a hammer or vise,and drill the two holes to mount it.Use a plastic chair leg cap to finish the top end of it.You could make 10 sets for what the dealers want for one original set.

Here is a pic of the ones I made.

marker.jpg

13. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I had a older Western plow, I wrote to Western and they sent me all new stickers ( I was going to do the same thing you did).

I sold the truck before the stickers arrived.

I still have the set here somewhere, if you want them I'll try to dig them up.

Send me an email with your address, free for the asking!

Rick

14. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Thanks for the tip Chris. That sounds like a much cheaper alternative.

I'd be happy to take the stickers if you don't want them Rick. I sent you my mailing address if you can find them. Thanks

15. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Your plow looks great! The truck is a real sharp looking chevy i like the color a lot. How does the 7.5 western work on the 2500? Is it kinda small for the truck?:nod:

16. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Thanks. The 7.5' is smaller than what I would like it to be, but that is what it came with when I bought it. It covers the width of the truck angled except when turning. I would like to put on a V, or better yet, a blizzard:)

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The plow looks good, hopefully we will get another good winter, so that you can wear all the paint off the blade! :drinkup:

18. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Plow looks good! :drinkup: I that the sunburst red paint? That is what i used on my plow. What year is your truck anyway?

19. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Snowy -- I know down in Peoria you guys had a good winter, but it was horrible up here in the quad cities. I only got to plow twice:(

Snowjoker -- trucks a 1995. The paint I used was called "safety red" in the rustoleum professional cans.

20. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yea, we had a pretty good winter, not much accumulation, but a lot of little 3" snows! payup
    You should have come down here! I could have used help a few times. Thats the same color I used, but I got the quarts of it and rolleed it on, I ues two coats at a time when I do it, and they usually last two years, sometimes. I did the back last week, I'll have to do the front this week sometime.

AH! Classes start on Wed, yikes, when was I supposed to have a summer?

If you are ever in P-town, look me up. Or If I'm up your way, I'll do the same.

-John