1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Repacking the rams

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dieselman19, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

I have to repack the angle rams on a western unitmount tomorrow for a guy and im not exactly sure how to do it? I have put new seals on a main ram (lift ram) isi it similar? I think i just remove the nut and pull the old sereris of seals out and put the new ones in the same way? Any pointers? or tricks?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

A turn cylinder for a straight blade is just like the lift cylinder, just the packing stack behind the nut. Just take a seconsd and look down the barrel to make sure its not all beat up and that the keeper ring at the bottom of the cylinder is still intact.
  3. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

be careful!!!! Use a box end wrench I've crushed and broken a few angle cylinder end nuts with an open end. Those nuts are cast and break rather easily if you aren't careful. good luck