1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

renting a tractor

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by carsoncity, Nov 26, 2006.

1. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

Looking to buy a tractor to use for the winter and heard some people will use their's in the winter and rent them the rest of the year. If so how much would someone charge for a 90hp tractor and how easy is it to rent the rest of the year. If someone does this also some information would be greatly appreciated.

2. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

cost depends on where you are...what type of unit...length of commitment etc.

Better off renting monthly a front end loader, than a tractor...that said however without a pusher a loader doesn't plow very well so there is another investment to consider...also if you are doing it regularly like in every season (not a one time gig) you may find that it is cheaper to buy one then pay the rent. Check the numbers with your accountant...I did and it was cheaper to buy then rent once you figured the deprection write-off etc. and strong resale value too!

Going rate in my area for a loader is $2000-3000 per month depending on size...multiply that by 4-5 months rent and you have a 60 month loan payment on a decent machine.

food for thought

Cheers :drinkup:

ps. once you plow with heavy equipment, front end loader, virtually every truck seems impotent...wesport
  3. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

We rented a 100+hp Fendt this fall and it was around $20hr. I've heard $0.18hr per HP. Thats $16.20hr for 90hp. My boss an I were talking about this yesterday. We plow with bi-directional tractors. He runs the New Holland TV-140, I use a Versatile 276. He says that for only $20hr, theres no way he's renting them out in the summer. I think theres more money renting them out in the winter because of standby pay.