1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green leaf, Jan 20, 2005.

1. green leaf

green leaf Junior Member

I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of a " rental plow truck ". You see I have had my truck smashed into yesterday and I have been told two weeks to fix it. In the mean time the insurance company is giving me a rental, but it better have a plow on it.
    Keep in mind that I am talking with the adjuster tomorrow so they may have an answer for me. I would like to know if any one else was left in this spot and what there insurance company did for them, also is there any place that has rental plows? maybe an equipment rental place? Thanks for the feed back. I will share what happens .
  2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Havent been in that situation, but I would assume you would need to be insured against loss of income (being the truck was essentially your job). And you would either need to pay a subcontractor out of the insurance proceeds, or out of pocket without insurance coverage. Or try the networking part of this board.

3. landscapein

landscapein Junior Member

united rental I'm sure there is one in your area they rent plow trucks/salt trucks or at least they do in my area
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I am in Niagara on the Lake. Maybe I could help out a bit? PM me.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I was in the same basic situation not long ago- I couldn;t find anything around here- fortunatly I have an agreement with my neighbor to cover each other's routes when breakdowns occur.

Insurance co probabily won;t cover providing you with a plow truck unless your registered commercially, paying commercial business rates and have loss of income insurance. Mine wouldn't- they only cover up to $30/day which = a midsize car here.
  6. green leaf

green leaf Junior Member

The go ahead

I just finished talking with my insurance company and they have given me the go ahead to rent the vehicle I need ( If only I can find a hummer with a plow lol.) They are treating me very well, I guess that is what happens when the collision is not your fault. I have the weekend to look for myself for a plow truck, time to make some calls.

Derekbroerse thank you for the offer to help, it is much appreciated. I still may need help if I can not get a truck but I will not know for a couple of days.For now my truck can pull me through the weekend. I hope we get the snow they are calling for on Saturday.

7. derekbroerse

Snow's a little slow getting started, but its accumulating now (11am). Alberta Clipper Part II, here we come!
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Try and find another plower with a spare truck. I was able to rent a truck from a friend once several years ago because the insurance company was unable to locate one for me... They paid my friend directly for rental of the truck...
  9. derekbroerse

Did your truck make it thru that storm???

Damn, almost 12" for night one, another 6" when I got back at it this morning, only 3hrs later!

I'm heading to bed now.....! Gotta catch up before it dumps more on me!!
  10. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Maybe try a used car dealer that has a truck with plow on the lot? Maybe they would be willing to help out by renting you one.

11. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I know Hertz Equipment Rental has a few here but then there always rented for long term. But there like ford 1 tons with western or boss and V-box sanders.
  12. durchins

durchins Member

I own some Budget Rent A Car franchises in Chicago. I have never even thought of renting out a truck with a blade. The rate would have to be very high to offset the lack of utilization during the summer and the beating the truck would take while on rent.
    Good Luck
  13. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

WHat about taking the plows off in the summer and renting them like Home Depot does...to help truckless people to get/deliver heavy building supplies.

14. durchins

durchins Member

To help those truckless ones, we rent 12 foot vans, 16 foot trucks and 24 footers. No real market here for pickups. We cycle in new trucks every three years. Unfortunately the second you put a blade on a truck it depreciates twice as fast as any other vehicle. I would need to keep a truck with a plow for six years for the depreciation to equalize. The dollars just dont add up to make it worth the while.
    However, if you are in the market for a Ford Taurus, Mini Cooper, Mustang convertible or Viper, I am just your man!