1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Vinyl Lettering on Equipment

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Meezer, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm looking on buying a couple of used things that have vinyl lettering on them. What is the best way to remove the lettering & any any residue?

2. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

heat gun worked for me

3. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Did it remove all the adhesive so you couldn't tell what was there?

4. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Yea, all glue comes off as you peel it. Key is to heat enough to loosen not burn. Heat little area at the time and work on peeling it as you go

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

3m makes a glue release product in a spray can to help with the glue....that with a heat gun and plastic razor blade is a good combination

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Goof off does a good job

7. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Heat gun will work, but most likely you will have residue that will need to be removed with a liquid. They also make small rubber wheels that go grinders and drills they can be slow on a big area but work great. They are also safe on paint, I've used them on multiple vehicles.

8. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

3m sticker remover as mentioned above. With or without heat. Goof Off of is also good, but the 3m works better I think.

I would not use an eraser wheel. They are intended for pinstripes which are a different backing. The wheel will just push the vinyl around and embed the glue even deeper.

9. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Heat gun my ass what a pain in the ass,

Go to a napa or auto store and get an eraser wheel mount it on a drill and get it done **** cones off in seconds don't focus on one spot just get going and you will see how easy it cones up and just go from there

Cons on a heat gun, you ruin your paint, you melt the decal and you burn your friggen fingers been there done that!
    Eraser wheel takes off the glue as well blow the remains off and clean it with thinner

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

then you were rushing and had it too hot......

11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You're doin' it wrong.

12. IPLOWSNO

Built **** I've done tons of sticker removal, best tool to use is an eraser wheel period,

My whole van was vinyl flames, heat that much area the vinyl cones off the adhesive stays got to clean that!

Bought the eraser wheel and was done in a hour!!

All the bikes I've painted I also used an eraser wheel, doesn't matter how old or brittle it is either everything comes off!!

I don't use vinyl anymore now I paint my graphics on

13. jasonv

from kannada

Its pretty easy to take the adhesive off. Shop towel with a bunch of paint thinner, wipe it down and its clean.

You were talking about burning yourself and blistering paint. That is definitely doing it wrong, because you massively overheated the pain, and did not use the right kind of tools for scraping off the sticker -- which would have prevented you from burning yourself.

14. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I've done a few, and a close friend of mine has a vinyl shop and has done many for years. I can tell you when they have to strip multiple vehicles to re-letter them or in the case of police cars, strip them when they are taken out of service they use the rubber wheels exclusivly. Just food for thought. I think its easier to get carried away with a heat gun than a rubber wheel.

15. IPLOWSNO

I'm thinking these guys never used a rubber eraser wheel before ! That or they remove them by the hour!!!

Using a scraper with heat your guaranteeing yourself paint damage, don't care what kind of scraper your using!!

16. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I've used a heat gun with great results a few times in the past...

17. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

DO NOT USE GOOF OFF, it will eat your paint. Goo Gone works well though, citrus gel. I've never tried the wheel, but have used heat gun and peeled them off with good results, never very large logos.

18. IPLOWSNO

I forgot you guys would be pulling off names, yea no big deal, but on larger vinyl and factory stickers which are heavier thicker use the eraser wheel!!

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

This, and then acetone for the glue... Works like a charm!

20. jasonv

from kannada

Eh, definitely NO WAY. Acetone will actually melt lots of different kinds of paint, including some automotive paint and clear coats. It will also melt lots of different kinds of PLASTIC, especially CLEAR plastics, including PLEXIGLASS. Keep acetone as far away from anything you don't want to destroy as you possibly can.