1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing V Box Spreader from Pickup

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Nebraska, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Nebraska

Nebraska Member
    from Midwest

Has anyone ever used an engine hoist to remove a V-box spreader from a pick up truck?

If so, is it fairly easy to do.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I suppose that it could be done, but you would need a lift that has a long and high reach.

I have seen people use everything else. Tree limbs, garage beams, gantry lifts, skid steers, mini excavators, etc.

3. Nebraska

Nebraska Member
    from Midwest

found engine hoists that have the height but haven't found one that would give me more than 48" of reach when extended...?????

4. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Similar situation in my case, I am designing a sort of "A" frame type system ^---^ hook 1,500 electric lift to hook attached in center lift spreader, lower on stand.

Rick

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think you'd need a truck engine hoist to have it be stable enough to support the sander and be able to move it.

I built a hoist from 2x6s and a 1500lb boat winch that worked well for me, but you can't beat a jib boom on a skid steer!

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

"you can't beat a jib boom on a skid steer!"

At one yard I load them with a CAT backhoe that has an extendahoe on it. The extendahoe makes it easy. Without the extendahoe we'd have to drive the truck under the spreader. With the extendahoe, it can be done by one man (at least with our yard layout).

At the other yard I load them with our CAT excavator. Just as easy as the extendahoe, if not easier. In a jam last year, we used a Bobcat with forks and a chain, but that was in a pinch, and no where near as easy I was told.

Next yard will have A frames and chainfalls.

Another option for you pickup guys is the jackstands and roller mounted on the spreader. There are pics in the thread about the SIMA St Louis Symposium. Real easy, just back into the spreader, and fold up the front legs, back up some more, and fold up the rear legs. Do a search for that thread.

~Chuck

7. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

8. Nebraska

Nebraska Member
    from Midwest

Thanks guys, the ideas are great. I just can't believe no one is out there selling something like the set up you saw this summer.

Tried the route of a shop crane / cherry picker from Harbor freight and it works good. A guy selling a used one let me try it out first. It's the same one they have new for $199 on the website (item # 7620) Has a more than enough reach and more than enough height to lift it up from 2001 Dodge 2500 bed and drive out from beneath it.

Thanks for the help.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My days of the v box loading hassel is finally over. I bought a Genie 45' ariel man lift, with 12' extending boom, plus 6' jib boom.
    Now I can be 25' away, and still be able to load and unload any freaking v box I want. Kind of like the extada hoe, but to a much higher degree.
    Dino