1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing the Sander

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FIREMAN Q, Sep 15, 2005.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to don/doff a bed sander. My problem is that I do not have a garage or any area that I could set up rigging to lift it in/out.

Hoping a few of you have the same problem.

Thanks in advance

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If I didn't have my garage, I'd use a one ton winch on a strong low-hanging tree branch.
  3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Call a tow truck company out of the phone book. They should charge about $50 to lift it off for you, no hasles with rigging, you don't have to buy anything, and you don't have to store any lift frames all Summer! :eek:
  4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we use our small loader with forks although a fork lift will work as well as a couple of strong hands .We have under tailgate salters so the can be heavy and combersome.
  5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

find a strong ass tree branch and come-a-long it up, rent a skidsteer or mini exacavator, or hire someone.

Or unhook the sander, go REALLY fast in reverse , and lock up the brakes. :drinkup: :drinkup:
  6. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

I have a steel frame that can taken apart. Just back under it and use a chain hoist to jack the sander out of the truck, then lower it onto a wood stand I built from 4x4's.
  7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have a dolly the same height as my truck bed. I just slide it off on the dolly and roll it in the garage. Now mine is a snowex 1.5 yrd poly Vbox so its much lighter than a steel one. You could make a dooly with rollers on it,then it should roll on the dolly pretty easy.

Good Luck Mike

WHITESLAWNCARE Junior Member
    from ny

ya i don't think just sliding it out is an option unless its poly i would use a machine or a chain hoist careful how u hook it seen some bad things happen best with a few people to steady it

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

dont you have a tornado. 2 people can slid it out the back.

10. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I've heard of people welding/bolting jacks from a bed mounted camper onto their salter/sander. It seems like it would work pretty well as long as the salter is empty. Drop the legs, crank them up a few turns, and drive away.
  11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Um its a 2 guy job. Remove spinner. Grab the back two handles, put it out about 4'. Sit back end on ground. Grab front handles and set it straght up in the air. Its designed to sit on its tail end. Thats how they are even shipped. If you have to move it, Just built an over size dolly with wheels to set it on when you take it out of the truck.
  12. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I nailed 2 2x10 together and bolted them between 2 trees and got a chain hoist. back under, hook up hoist and raise, move truck and lower sander onto 2 55 gallon drums. 10 minute job, no help.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

good to see this post coming back up again. When I posted this originally I don't believe I had my tornado. I have a couple of trees that I could rig something up but they are 15-20 appart. I was thinking about using a couple tow straps and wrap them around the tree a few times with either chain or some strong rope with a come along on it.
  14. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

15. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

We buy these from a local welding shop for around $900. The legs fold up as it goes in the truck and fold down when it comes out. Slicker than snot.

Spreader Stand 1.jpg

Spreader Stand 2.jpg
  16. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

You could make up something like a swingset frame out of 6x6's or may only need legs that are 4x4's with a 6x6 across the top.
  17. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the lesson -- hadn't thought that!