1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

removing the back of a backhoe?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by PlatinumService, Dec 29, 2010.

1. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

Can you take the hoe part off of a case 580 or a cat 420 or similar models to make them shorter for the winter?
    and put it back on for work in the summer?

2. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Yes. You will have to plug all hoses, and I would also recommend finding something else, heavy, to put back there for balance and traction.

3. PlatinumService

ok thanks its good to know for future reference with what could work for a 12 month machine.

4. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

5. PlatinumService

we used to have one of those but it was just the weight no box grader behind it as a loader and i loved it and would do it again but... i like the hoe for the summer for excavation jobs and could tackle bigger projects such as bigger commercial and pools etc.

6. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I couldn't get the link to work but I assume it was to show you a 570. Those have been talked about a lot, on this forum, and they do have their place. I would think it would work just as good as a TLB with the backhoe removed (actually better because the box blade gives you bi-directional capabilities). I know this may sound stupid but why don't you just use the TLB with the hoe on it. Millions of people do, including me. I have no issues with it being on the back. IMO it's not worth taking it off, especially if you have a use for it in the summer.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes to leaving your hoe alone there platinum--way too much work to remove that type of ''dedicated'' backhoe.If it was a utility tractor that was meant for a hoe dismount and mount type gig,that would be different.Been pushing snow for 36 years with backhoes--just be careful of the blind spot and you'll be fine.

8. PlatinumService

yeah it just an inquiry i have just in case i put someone else in my machine next year and if i go the backhoe route. if i was driving i wouldnt worry at all but if i put someone else behind the wheel its a whole other can of worms. i appreciate the input from everyone.

9. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've seen two people hit the hoe on light poles. Just remeber and remeber again that its back there.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Would you happen to know that the lift height with the bucket is on that machine? It sure seems pretty versatile and also doesn't seem to weigh a whole lot either which is nice. Also, any idea what the price of a new one would be...i'm guessing about $70k with bucket from what i saw online for used ones!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  11. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

Sorry I don't. I've just seen them around occassionally.

BTW, I grew up in Nashua!

12. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

we took off the bachoe on our machine the winter. It pushed ok and it was only a 2wd machine but it was a heavy machine with good size tires