1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Springs

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chcav1218, Oct 19, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

If I pull the springs and trip edge off of my plows for painting, will I have trouble re-compressing them to reassemble the plow, or will they just pop back in?

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

If it is a Fisher, your best bet is to buy the tool. I got mine for $23.00 at my dealer. I have seen them cheaper. It sucks the spring up while still mounted, you pin it with provided pin in all ready exsisting hole., remove the tool, then remove the nut and bolt at the bottom to remove the hole unit. Repeat to reinstall. No fuss no muss, and more importantly, NO injury. it is part # 20043.

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I would buy the tool but I'm removing all four srpings so I can take the trip edge off and strip and paint it.

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

yup, I am doing exactly the same thing. It goes to the blaster guys 2mrow.

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

What are you doin about getting the srpings back ok RepoMan?

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

when you use the tool, it squeezes the spring together. you then insert a provided pin into a hole that becomes revealed once the spring is "squeezed" together. You can't see the hole right now because it is covered by the spring coils at this time. Once you remove the tool, it hits that pin you just inserted rather then the blade bracket giving you 5 - 7 inches clearance to remove it off the blade altogether. remove the bottom bolt on the lower bracket and your done. To re install it, all you do is put the spring back in, bolt the bottom, swivel it up into the top bracket. Then using the tool, you "squeeze" the spring down alittle bit more until the pressure is off that pin you inserted earlier, take the pin out, then as you remove the tool again, it will hit against the top blade bracket deeming it re - installed. I'll run down stairs and snap a couple photo's. It really makes you feel confident once you see in person how it operates.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

A picture is worth a thousand words......

1.jpg

2.1.jpg

2.jpg

3.1.jpg

3.jpg

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

4.jpg

5.jpg

Hope this gives a better idea of what I was talking about.

4.jpg

5.jpg

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Repoman is right, use the tool, for $23 you will save your self alot of bitching and possibly some fingers!