1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

removing snoway mount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chessielover, Mar 10, 2004.

1. chessielover

chessielover Junior Member

I have a sno-way plow mounted on a Toyota Tacoma pickup. I desperately need to remove the entire mounting bracket from the truck during the summer (I need the extra clearance), but my dealer says that it's not possible. I fail to see why not. Can anyone give me advice? Thanks.
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know much about this but i know it IS POSSIBLE!! One guy who used to post here alot said it took about 30 minuites to remove his entire boss mount in the off season. I would think it would take a good knowlage of frames and working with metal. It would most likely require alot of tools. As a last resort i would talk to someone who works with metal or a welder. there should be plenty of people here that know MUCH more than i do about this, hopefully some of those people can help you out. I posted to tell you that iam 99.9% sure it can be done, it would just take a little time.
  3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

When I had a sno-way 4 or 5 years ago on my S-10 p.u. I know that it can be removed. Most frames on trucks now are just bolted on. You will need a good set of tools, and a air gun would be a plus. Depending on you bumper, you might have to temporarily remove some of the brackets. But, like I said it should all be bolted on, just remember in the fall where they all came from:nod:
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The big problem is the mount is bolted on with some big bolts.
    They should be grade 8's, which are the hardest / tough as they come bolts. Any that have been on any length of time will be a bear to get off. Most times I end up using the flame wrench (torch) to get them off. Once they are heated up that much they need to be discarded because they are now weakened. So you would have at least 2 - 5/8's \ 3/4's size bolts on each side of the frame to remove and maybe 4 smaller ones holding the bumper on. It can be done but it will be no 1 hour job.
    If you have the plow shop do it they get to nail you twice a year with a big install or remove bill.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have the older style snoway mount or do you have the newer style mount. The older stlye mount would be a pain on my truck. don't know about yours. the newer stlye mount would be easier I think, but I'm not sure. snoway recommends that you use thread sealer on just about everything, so you'd have to break through that, plus you'd wear out the lock nuts using everything over and over. It can be done, it's just a pain in the ass. When you take it apart try to take it apart the exact opposite way that it would be installed.
  6. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

I don't know about toyota but one thing to consider is in some vehicles they remove the front frame cross member (in a ford its called a blocker beam) to mount the plow frame. That frame member has to be re-installed if you take off the plow frame. That may not be the case on a tacoma or snoway set up but I would find out before taking off the plow frame.
  7. rny96

rny96 Junior Member
    from SW PA

I bought a Sno-Way about a month ago and mounted it myself on my 2001 Tacoma. (Hasn't snowed since). Mine bolted on to the frame using six grade eight bolts if I recall correctly. Four threaded into the tow-hook mounting points, and two bolted up through existing frame holes using the lock-nuts. You might also consider dropping just the lower part of the mounting frame, which should improve your clearance some.

I am also seriously considering taking the frame off for better handling and gas mileage during the off-season. I don't see why it would be that hard to take it off. You'll probably need an impact wrench as pointed out in an earlier post, but I think it could be re-installed with only some new bolts in the fall.