1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing snow between cars in parking lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kyote5, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Kyote5

Kyote5 Junior Member

In my self-park lots in NY area, I often have ice/ snow build up between vehicles. Since its self park, we often can't prohibit people from parking before the snow. Management is worried about employees using ice picks/ shovel near guest cars. Looking for any technologies/ best practices for removing snow/ice without damaging vehicles?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A roof.
    Radiant floor heating.

A talented shovelmonkey.

Close off a section at a time, clear all snow from it .
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on Salt - you may rust their car away but you will not dent it.
  5. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

You get out of your heated office and chain off the entrances. Thus plow truck comes and clears lot before you open.

Though delayed opening will cost you money.

Use lots of salt.

Though that will cost you money.

Use a man with a shovel, and or snow blower. The only problem with that is you do not want cars damaged then you will have to pay more then the minimum wage to attract a responsible worker that will not damage the cars.

Though that will cost you money.

Then as pointed out heated floor and or roof, they will cost you money.

It appears that you want to make money without having to spend money.
  6. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I'd be pretty mad if I got to my car and saw that someone had been shoveling that close to it. My contract says I don't go within 3 feet of parked cars. The only way practical is to clear it when there are no cars.
  7. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Buy your own plow truck, skid steer, what ever. NO need for salt if you clean the lots prior. A open lot can be done in no time flat. If its light snow use a leaf blower. A broom atatchment on a weed wacker. Or use airline cargo blankets and cover the side of the car. Then a small snow blower to go in between for heavy snow. Heavy salt for ice conditions. Make sure a competent operator is doing the work. That will cut down on damage. That's the best technology out there. I've always refused to agree upon working between cars. Mirrors usually get clobbered first. Good luck.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015