1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing salt & sand stuck to the sides of V box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by davebc1963, Nov 5, 2009.

1. davebc1963

davebc1963 Junior Member
    from ontario

There is always a tremendous amount of salt/sand stuck to the sides of my v box after a 2hr round.It takes a good 20 mins to scrape it out manually.Does anybody have any ideas how to keep it from sticking to the sides in the first place? Maybe a teflon spray I can apply to the box before I load it? any ideas??

2. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

other then scraping it out i'd try a vibrator on the side on the sander

3. davebc1963

davebc1963 Junior Member
    from ontario

that might work,thanks. The last thing I want to do is stand on top of the box scraping in the snow and wind after plowing for 14 hrs....fun,fun,fun I can hardly wait....

4. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Rohmar Industries sells a product that keeps salt/sand from sticking. Never used it but use other products from them

5. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

How about plastic

Get a piece of plastic that is used to line dump bodies. Super slick...

6. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just add calcium chloride to your mix as your dumping it into the spreader problem solved

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

BIG rubber mallet will knock it loose too.

8. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

how about washing the salter and truck always worked for me the clumps just sit on the chain till the next run . i wash my truck and salter down after every event . on those 3 degree days it sucks but you need to get that salt off the equipment

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I bought a kerrier vibrator unit off of Basher here on the forum..... damn thing shakes the heck out of the box..... nothings going to stick to it!.... money well spent imo

10. WISnowPlower

WISnowPlower Junior Member

We use plastic liner (used for dump trailers and boxes) works great, never have to scape it out!

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

try spraying the box with linseed oil. Works wonders.

12. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Those that are lining your boxes with plastic/poly, are you worried about salt getting behind the poly and not being able to wash it?

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Lots of options

All these ideas are great. The Vibrator is certainly a great help and spraying a non-stick cooking spray works very well and is less expensive than other non-stick specialty sprays. All we use are vibrators and they seem to work very well.