1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing rusty front wheel bearing from knuckle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sdvioletta, Apr 2, 2010.

1. sdvioletta

sdvioletta Junior Member

HI

I am a newbie to this list and I only plow for me and my family here in Michigan.
    I have a 1990 Chevy K3500 7.4l 3 speed auto that I am removing the front bearings to replace the front rotors. they are rusty, my impact would not budge the four bolts on back of the knuckle before I start to apply heat is there any tricks with these? I have tried to search this site for this answer but the ones I found talk about what new ones to install, I am not that far yet.:dizzy:

I have the left front hub off to replace upper/lower ball joints but even with a strait shot at the bolts they will not move, I am soaking with penetrating oil.

Love the site and thanks

Scott

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

soak with catalyst, such as PB Blaster, keep soaking over night. Next morning set an impact socket on the bolt and use a 2' breaker bar. When I bought my k2500HD the bolt heads had been rounded off from someone trying to get them out. I had to drive a smaller impact socket onto the heads and use the 2' bar, but they all came out. good luck!

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Cussing and swearing doesn't help but it vents frustration:D

4. sdvioletta

sdvioletta Junior Member

Update on my progress, Left front is apart with lots of penetrating oil and had to drill the heads off of two of the four bolts on to the other side. Here is some interesting information I found on penetrating oils:

Here is some useful information for any of you that might end up rehabilitating a boat that sat in the water to long.

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break
    out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..............214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
    transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this
    one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Thanks Scott

5. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I switched to that a few years ago. Works very well and is cheap

6. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Hersey, it is fluid film or nothing. Besides Joy and Dano need to eat steak and lobster too