1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Rust Before Protecting

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by P&M Landscaping, Nov 10, 2010.

1. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

Alright guys, i'm looking to remove some of the small surface rust on my plow before I give it a bath in fluid film. Is there any products or tricks out there that can get this off?
  2. Pop the rust off with a screw driver then coat away heavy in the bad sorts
  3. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Sand blast just those bad spots or wire wheel
  4. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

If it's not loose rust scale you could just apply Fluid Film over it and it will help soften it up, make it easier to clean, and prevent it from going any further.

SKYNYRD Senior Member

6. CharlesW

CharlesW Junior Member

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You have to be a lawnsite member to view pictures there.
  8. CharlesW

CharlesW Junior Member

Thank you!

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i can't find where i have them saved on my computer, soon as i get a chance i'll save them off ls and repost here :)

SKYNYRD Senior Member

picture 1 shows 2 rust spots on the top of a plow we picked up back in march. the shots show as they were when we got it and sprayed with fluid film

picture 2 shows how they looked just over 4 months later all cleaned up after using a waffle style disc on the die grinder

the third pictures shows some much smaller rust spots that didn't look bad at all so i never bothered spraying them with fluid film. these spots were hit with the waffle disc and a 24 grit disc yet they're still loaded with rust.

so i posed the question at the time does fluid film penetrate deep into the metal to stop rust or not? i sure think these pictures show it does :)