1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing powder coating

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by edshipp19, Oct 20, 2003.

1. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

I spent an hour and used 4 80lb bags of coarse sand to sand blast the face of one wing of a fisher V. Needless to say it was very unproductive. Someone told me this morning that burning the powder coating first with a torch, before sand blasting helps a lot
    Does anyone know if this helps?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Burning it off may work,but I'd be real careful of any fumes it may give off in the process.Not sure what chemicals are in there,but I'm sure they could be harmful if inhaled.

Might be easier to send it out and have it profesionally done.I've tried sandblasting my own blades,and it takes way too long,and uses a lot of material.
  3. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

i have found for the time and supplys it takes to sandblast a plow that usually its easier to send it out and let someone else deal with the hassle.
  4. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Well i have the time, the means, and the supplies I was just trying to speed the process up a bit. I went out and hit a spot with just the little hand held bottle torch. GOOD NEWS!! It turned the powder coat back to powder. Hopefully tonite i can hit with the big torch The we'll see what the sand will do