1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Fire0129, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Fire0129

Fire0129 Junior Member

I am having trouble getting my V plow to release off my truck. The plow won't pivot off the hooks on the plow frame on the truck. Any ideas why?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As in its getting caught on the mount?

Generally that's caused by from the truck mount being too high, the ground being too uneven or simply the trip springs are set a little too soft.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Could be the cutting edge getting to worn out so it make sit lower and the hooks get caught up on it when backing out.
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Dumb question....did you release the 2 latches? Another thing to check is the ground too low? Maybe try dropping in another place and see if you have any luck.
  5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree Mike.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going with this. What kind of truck do you have and is it on big tires? Just put a floor jack under the mount and jack it up an inch.
  7. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

do what i do i keep a pair of 1x4's in my truck for unhooking on uneven or soft terrain and place them under the cutting edge about 8 inches in from the end and im in and out with ease
  8. allcraftsmen

allcraftsmen Junior Member

The plow needs to be adjusted as the cutting edges wear. If your push beam is set properly at the 15 1/2" to the center of the holes or as close as you can get it to that then follow the procedures below.

-To adjust the plow side frame and light tower put the plow up and in the "Scoop" position.
    -Put something below the plow just in case it drops accidentally (I'm not responsible for injuries or accidents)
    -Look straight down behind the center tower below the trip springs and you will see a 9/16" bolt that holds a rubber bumper with a slot in it for adjustment forward and back.
    -If you need to move the mount on the plow up loosen the bolt and slide the rubber bumper toward the rear of the truck or the opposite to move it down.
    -It helps to have a second person to push the plow down to take the pressure off the bumper so you can slide it which direction you need. Use a long prybar.
    -This will also change the way the cutting edge sits on the ground (especially in Scoop) so sometimes you have to find a happy medium.

Hope this helps.

One other thing: How can the ground be too low?
  9. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

in my driveway the center of the plow sits on a high spot and were the wings sit its a little lower