1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing plow ????

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mike_13, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

Today I just picked up an 8ft poly super duty for my new 2005 2500HD .... When i went to get it, the guy who was helping me used a hammer to get the drivers side pin into the hole on the mount because the valence was pushed up making it hard for the pin to go into place. Now when i tried removing the plow at my house like the directions say, the driver side pin will not budge. The passenger side pops out no problem. Just curious if anyone has any advice on getting this thing off the front of my truck so i can take the plastic valence off? Thanks for the help.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you put the control in float? Are you on somewhat level ground?
  3. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

You don't need to cut the plastic !! Like Grandview said make sure it's in the float position and try going up with the switch. There is NO NEED for a hammer. Good luck
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How worn is the cutting edge. If its to worn it hard to get off also.
  5. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

the control was in float and i pushed the switch up to release the pins... or at least one of them.... i will give it a try tomorrow somewhere that is flatter than the driveway and when it is not 40 degrees and raining. the cutting edge still has quite a bit left on it. i'll mess with it tomorrow more when it is light out. thanks.
  6. Riccas

Riccas Member

Sometimes on the pin, there will be a few bolts sticking out that can grab the plastic. Its where the pin slides inside the metal casing on the plow side. I've seen it happen more on the GMCs than the chevy's... but that could be the culpret.

Also make sure the flip wings to dis-engage are fully flipped. Sometimes there is a pin that slides and prevents the wing from flipping all the way and hense will not allow the pin to withdraw.

If not that... i've had bent pins before from hooking up and leaving with only 1 pin engaged. If you can take a pic with a camera and upload it we might be able to help a little more.
  7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Alot of times you will have to wiggle the toggle to get them both to pop out. You might have to be pulling on the stuck one at the same time though. Or just push back and for on the light tower. Its not a defect, its just how they are. Just remember to put it in float. Double click the down button.

8. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

thanks for all the input! i'll wrestle with it tomorrow and see if i can figure it out. if not i'll try to get a few pics.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) Make sure you don't have the jack stand set too low. It will place too much upward force on the plow causing excess tension on the pin(s) during dismount.

2) Make sure the pins not bent. Rare but it happens.

3) Be sure the pin mechanism isn't corroded in the lift tower. Keep it lubed up well and it should virtually fall off the truck during detach.
  10. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

On the brand new BOSS plows the latch on the Driver's side is painted Red and when new tends to stick a little not allowing the coupler pin to slide out easily... Spray the mechanism with Fluid Film and it should help the situation unitl it is "worn in"
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A good tip on a new install certainly but I sure hope they didn't have to pound the pins in on a brand new install at a dealer. Then again, there's more than a few less than competent installers out there so I certainly wouldn't be surprised. :gunsfiring:
  12. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

this plow is not new... it's
  13. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

this plow is not new... it's a 2006. i think i need to just keep the pin sprayed with something to keep it from sticking.
  14. I spray my pins with Fluid Film constantly

Keep a can warm with the mist tube in place-- spray over the pins before hook-up
    and at least once a week

15. JT's Plow

JT's Plow Junior Member

If the cutting edge is in tact and still no luck, try putting a quick floor or bottle jack under the mount (plowside) to relieve some pressure...doesnt take much. I had the same problem, it needed some lube but I had to get it off to work it into the mechanism and that trick worked for me!