1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing plow from Truck using Smarthitch2

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gssuperduty, Dec 5, 2005.

1. gssuperduty

gssuperduty Junior Member

Hello
    I seem to have a intermittent problem with my plow when I am ready to remove the plow from the truck.
    The pins are unlatched and the controller is in the float position(Red LED Lit). When I depress the switch on the tower the asemble should move forward slowly. At times mine stays in the upright position. I hear the pump working but the tower does not move. What would cause this to happen ?

thanks
    Gerry

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Well, i'm not sure what you mean but I will tell you how I disconnect mine.
    1) Lower plow and put in float position
    2) Release the stand and switch the pins into the off position
    3) I push up on the switch and the plow releases and then I hold switch down until the tower goes all the way down
    4) Back up and go sit down after that strenious 20 seconds!!

3. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

Check your fluid level, you are running the hydraulic in reverse.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Gerry,
    sounds to me like the pins are hanging up, and not comming out of the mounting holes. I had the same problem they were catching on the lower bumper valance.

Regards Mike

5. mole

mole Senior Member

I have the opposite problem, I can here motor running but tower doesn't move right away, I have to play with the switch. And yes my fluid level is up. I have had nothing but problems with this plow. it was on the truck when I bought it. The people that service boss in my area are brutal.

6. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I raise mine until I hear the pins retract then lower it off the truck , if you go up for a second it takes the pressure off the pins. Maybe this will help you .

7. RadHog

RadHog Junior Member

yeah you have to raise (switch up) first then she will drop for ya

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I just had this problem.

I'd hit up, whether to take the plow off the truck, or even to raise the tower to the truck when putting the plow on, but it would just humm, much like when you have the plow swung all the way to the side, yet are still pushing the button.

It wouldn't work at my place, but each time I took it to a shop, it would warm up and would work.

Then I'd get it home and it wouldn't work again.

So far we've just drained all of the fluid out of the system and replaced it, thinking maybe there was a little water in it, which would cause some ice buildup, and that's worked so far.....

Just an idea for ya.

9. superdave

superdave Junior Member

I had a problem similar to this last year.....the switch on the tower ended up being bad......when I would toggle the switch up, the pump would run, but the solenoid valve wouldn't open to extend the cylinder.....I figured out my switch was bad by feeding current to that solenoid.......put the new switch in and has worked fine..........just my $0.02 worth.

10. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

dealer?

SCOTT- Just wondering who your dealer is.I bought my BOSS from Bob at Barker Truck Equipment in Barker NY ( about an hour from you) and he is a great dealer.This is my 3rd plow I bought from him.He used to sell Meyers, Western and now dedicates his customers to BOSS plows and says the problems with them are very low compared to the others.Hope you get your problem resolved or give him a call.He will probably help you over the phone. Pete ( Youngstown NY)