1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

removing pick up tailgate

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by murphy4trees, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

It just dawned on me that there is no reason to keep the pick up truck tailgate on the truck when the tailgate spreader is on. The pick up's tailgate is just gonna get beat up.. Funny thing though I've never seen anyone run without one in the suburban philly area... I use a sno-x 1075... Any thoughts? Thanks

2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

We always take ours off. We use a swing away and it gives us a few extra inches when standing in the back of the truck loading salt plus the tailgate is brand new.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ummm, my dad started taking his off when he started using pickups, back in the early 70's.

Back in the day when we used Dodges, we used to take the front bumpers off so they wouldn't get bent in by the plows.

So welcome to 40+ years ago. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My dad took them off also back in the 70's. Makes it a lot easier to see when backing up was the main reason.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I found that things like shovels etc left in the back were more prone to blowing away without a tailgate... but my spreader was set up to lean on the bed floor, so I took a spare tailgate (with the bottom rotted anyways) and took a chop saw to it, filled it with mono foam and skinned the openings in fibreglass... then had a tailgate that fit around the spreader mount.

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I would think the shovels and snow blowers would not stay in the pickup all that well.

funny thing though I've never seen anyone damage there tailgate with a tailgate spreader in my neck of the woods. most use boss or western.

7. mark268

mark268 Member

Ours always come off. Never had a problem with shovels or blowers.

8. breadfan

breadfan Junior Member

Replace tailgate with a 2x6 in the last bed slot. Keeps your stuff in and you can still see behind you.

9. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Leave the gate alone and use your mirrors like you should.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I can take it a step further and use both my mirrors and turning my head to look behind me. I don't need to remove the tailgate to know where the rear end of my truck is.

11. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Hmmmm, I took our tailgates off in the seventies. :) You guys are aging me. BTW, we use a few bungee cords to keep shovels in. I always notice rear quarter panels damaged on trucks that keep their tailgates on.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

uh-oh.... the hardcore plow truck drivers are gonna chime in about how you should only use your mirrors!!! some of these guys are so tough, they actually paint the rear window of their truck black so that there is no possibility of using the rear window for what is was designed to do - see out of!!! God forbid someone should do something to increase visibility while spending half of their time in reverse during some of the most challenging weather!

13. Mark Oomkes

Man are you old.

Or........................were you driving underage? ;)

(Who says I can't respect my elders?)

14. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I saw it coming too. Hey, don't look out the rear window, you might hit something. Better just use your mirrors. After all, you don't want to get a kink in your neck from turning around and looking. Besides that, it looks cool with the rear window blacked out. :dizzy:

15. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I agree. Only using side mirrors at 24/7 gas stations with constant foot traffic and people who pay no attention to you. Way too many blind spots. Sure, in a empty lot with nobody around I would only use mirrors.

16. Mark Oomkes

He's from Mass, what do you expect? :laughing:

17. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

haha you guys can take your tailgates off if you want to. not something I'm gonna recommend or ever do. I can use my side mirrors, rear mirrors and rear window just fine to see what I want and need to see when in reverse.

18. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

on one of my trucks, I made a mesh tailgate that is similar to the 5th wheel tailgates so you can see through it and still use it to unload stuff as it is half the height of the stock tailgate. in my opinion, that is the best tailgate made. The guys got tires of the cheap potmetal handles breaking in the cold on the original tailgate, so now you just pull a pin and open if you need.
    but I am used to using the mirrors only as the majority of the trucks are dump bodies with spreaders.

19. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Best post of 2014 so far! :nod:Thumbs Up:laughing:

20. fozzy

fozzy Member

What am I supposed to do when I can't see out of one of my mirrors? It is laying on the ground because I hit something while looking in the other mirror. And my back window is painted black.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.