1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing "idiot" lights in dash?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Mar 9, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, I'm at a loss with my ABS issue- both ABS and BRAKE lights are on- brakes feel fine- dealer did the re-program- no go, and the lights are driving me nuts. I really don't want to start throwing $$$ at the ABS which I've never actually had activate anyway, so I'd like to (temporarily) remove these bulbs from the dash to help me feel better about my truck (people get in and are like "why are there lights on in your dash"?).

So- what's the procedure?

Thanks guys!

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Just remove dash piece unbolt cluster 4 bolts and remove bulbs from rear by twisting.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Two approaches you can try. 1/4 inch drill bit. Heat a screwdriver till it glows red.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes you can reset this yourself, by unpluging the mastercylinder with the engine running, shut it off, plug it back in and restart your engine......... Or maybe it's the other way around unplug with it shut off start the engine and plug it back in. (Been a while) If it was reset by the dealer before and it doesn't work ever... chances are it's shot. If it works for awhile after being reset then you can do one of the above.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Is this the procedure for the "classic" body style ('03)?

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Is this for my style truck or the older vintage?

7. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

works on 2002 sierra Should also work on 03. But, I ain't:mechanic:

Other option very common is pics of your kids or electrical tape

8. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Haha- i don't have any kids (thank God lol) I'm only 19. I have my business card over it but its still driving me nuts cause I can see the lights...

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Taking the lights out won't accidently re-set the mileage or engine hrs, right? Is there a backing plate that has to come off or do I just flip the cluster over and twist out the bulbs?

11. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Had something like this happen in my 1988 pick-up. It turned out that I had a short in the drivers side brake light. Just a thought.

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the thought- but I had it scanned and it's the ABS unit- a $1,200 or so repair on a system I've never actually had do anything for me.

So, for now anyway (with $$$ a little tight), I'm going to live without ABS... not ideal, I know... but I think I'll be okay- afterall, there was a time before ABS existed (even I can remember cars/trucks that didn't have ABS).

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Just save up and fix it. It would drive me crazy to not have it working right.

14. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Just unplug the module under the hood, shuts the whole thing down. Just be aware if there was to be an accident with injury's or death and the insurance company does an investigation and find out it has been disabled, they could refuse to pay or they could drop you and you would find it difficult and expensive to get a new company.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Check around on that price. My old shop told me I was looking at grand to do mine, he said the pump would be at least $600 if they could find one. I made one call a couple weeks later for fun. Salvage yard had one for a hundred bucks, sitting on the shelf.

Wonder why they are my "old" shop.......??????

16. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

On a GM truck there's a module? Where exactly would this be located?

My insurance carrier wasn't even aware that my truck was equipped with ABS (I called them to see about the very concern you mentioned), and essentially said I was in the clear.

Don't get me wrong guys- I'm very diligent about getting things repaired on the truck, and this ABS issue has been driving me nuts for a while now- I just can't justify doing a $1,300 repair on the ABS right now.

17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Interesting point you make- did you have yours repaired? How much was the labor?

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope. Pulled the fuse. I like the orange light now. Actually, when my trans was rebuilt (by a different shop), they turned the light off. A dead battery later it came back on. I can't imagine shop time would be more than three hours, unless they ran into rusty brake lines or bleed screws that won't come out. Put some Fluid Film on them ahead of time would help.

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

As a last ditch effort to save $$$ but try to fix it I'm going to try re-grounding the ABS unit to the frame. If that doesn't do it- I may be doing the electrical tape mod.

Mine would be more I'm sure as I do have somewhat rusty brake lines (they're popping at a rate of 1 per 6 months or so- keeps me on my toes lol), and with my luck the screws would be rusty too.

Do you know what they did to turn off the light? My BRAKE light is also on so it's kind of distracting when driving at night with my dash glowing). I had 2 different mechanics up at school look at it, they both said basically that the brake system is fine if I can live without ABS.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure your battery to frame ground is good too.