1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Ice Melt from Concrete

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rawtoxic, Nov 23, 2009.

1. rawtoxic

rawtoxic Junior Member
    from Rockies

Hi - Interesting question here, I have a new client and he is extremely distraught when I told him he should not be using Ice Melt on his less than 1 year old concrete? He has only put down one application so far he was wondering what I recommended to do since he has put down the snow melt once already? I was thinking to tell him to power wash the surface and then seal with penetrating sealer once weather permits - anyone care to add any advice?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Have him rinse it off with plenty of water. I wouldn't recommend sealing it until he finds out if the installer already has. If it has been sealed, the wrong choice of product can potentially make matters worse.

It is generally not recommended to apply ice melt on new concrete but it is going to be exposed to some anyway. Unless the vehicles using it never drive down roads that have had salt applied there will be salt residue tracked onto the driveway. I don't think it's the end of the world for your client or their new driveway. Concrete is fully cured after 28 days at temps around 60-70 F.
  3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Hey, Scott....?? What happened to the popcorn?:alien:
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

All they would have had to do is ask and I would have gave them some. :dizzy: