1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

removing ice from your walkways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by environment, Oct 12, 2004.

1. environment

environment Junior Member

What is the best way to go about removing ice from your walk ways without, using salts which will in the long run crack concrete?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Use a liquid deicer - Magic -0, Caliber, Ice Ban. It'll cost, though.
  3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Calcium Mixed with Sand. Scrape off the precip before it freezes. pumpkin:
  4. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

rock salt will over time crack concrete..All products will. What people don't realize is that appliying these is the first step. You need to remove the melted ice afterwards. What happens is the ice melts, water runs in cracks, then it refreezes causing cracking. Dow has great info on their website regarding this.I have been selling Peladow for years and even that will cause cracks.
  5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

That is why in most areas the building code require that all flat concrete be sealed prior to it curing. Concrete is naturally pores. I use rock salt on most of my jobs and have no problems with Spalding. Just make sure it has been sealed...
  6. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

So if a customer wants his or her walkway salted and it isn't sealed, then what?
  7. lwngrl1

lwngrl1 Junior Member
    from CT

Potash works too
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Then advise them that anything used on the concrete to melt ice/snow may cause damage to it.....Then give them a quote on having their concrete sealed!!!! :) :)