1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

removing gear shift leaver on one ton truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rayangus, Jan 11, 2003.

1. rayangus

rayangus Junior Member
    from memphis

I am having trouble find out how to remove gear shift leaver on 87 Chevy 30 one ton truck. Can anyone out there tell me how to get it off?
    Ray

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

What trans is in it ?

3. rayangus

rayangus Junior Member
    from memphis

5 speed manual

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I believe the 5 speeds were a Getrag back then,which should have a NON-removable shift lever.You must unbolt the entire shift tower from the top of the trans.If I remeber correctly the shifter is molded\crimped onto the top of the shift tower assy.

5. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

i dunno if the 4 speeds were the same as the 5, but with the 4 you just take off the boot in the cab and there is like a half ball shape that goes into the tranny from the shifter. You gotta push down and turn it to unlock it. It's really a pita. Sorry i don't know the correct names for these parts, but i hope it helps:)

6. rayangus

rayangus Junior Member
    from memphis

Hello mulchmonkey2000,

That did the trick. I pushed down on the bulb and turned slightly and the lever came right out. Thank you for your help.
    Ray

7. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Ray, glad i can help out. This is a great site, glad i could give back for a change.:drinkup: