1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing exhaust manifold studs!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by augerandblade, Feb 6, 2009.

1. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:angry:I am removing the exhaust manifolds on my 6.5. The studs have been in the head for the past 10 years, had to cut of the heads of the studs, I got one side off, now I am going to remove the studs out of the heads. One guy told me to heat the studs red hot:angry: let it:cool:cool abit and then proceed to remove. Its working with a few studs but there are still some stubborn ones. Whats my next move.:confused:
  2. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Friend of mine told me to heat them then pour water on them, should make them pop and then losen. Its all theroetically though. I just bought some headers last night so I'll be putting them on soon and we'll see how the theory works?! I'm sure I'll be mad too.
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Try using a stud remover that goes over the stud. The stud remover look like a socket.They come in many sizes. It is a 3/8 set
  4. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

pb blaster and a stud remover. let it soak for awhile
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

If there is enough stud sticking out put a nut on it and use a mig welder and lay a nice bead around the nut, should back right out. I did that on my chevy 6.0 and it worked like a charm.

Regards Mike
  6. mikeauto1

mikeauto1 Junior Member
    from nh

stud removal

heat stud with torch map gas or whatever you have, when hot stick a candle over stude so the wax melts, the wax gets n the threads of the head and the stud will come out. works every time.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It definitely helps to get them very hot, and apply some sort of lubricant or penetrant to the stud right at the head. People have have good luck with PB Blaster, WD 40, Fluid Film, wax, even water. You may need to do this several time on some of the studs. If you can weld a nut on as mentioned, that would be excellent. Double nutting would work OK too.
  8. damian

damian Senior Member

we use pb blaster,then clean stud area well,if stud is broken flush we mig weld a washer to it,then mig weld a nut to the washer,let cool,spray pb blaster,heat cyl head area around stud w/torch and work the stud out,this method does require some skill but it works well,we do it all the time.good luck
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Or you could be like me and have no room to work on the crap, have two busted flush and have to pull the heads out of the truck to get them out!!! That is going to be my fun project this spring:gunsfiring:
  10. augerandblade

:waving:Yup Im reading all these posts, keep em coming if you got other ideas,:nod: just finish cleaning all the snow of my house roof.:angry: Going back in the shop, using the idea of heating the studs red hot and letting cool seems to work great, gonna top it off with some wax, got 4 out 3 workably loose and one left.:cool: Yes I have a 98 Chev thats got a bolt rusted, or busted off that another project for the summer. Biggest thing with these studs extraction is patience. I dont need this truck till May. So if the stud is stubborn I find something else to do and tackle the next day or hour. Again thanks alot for all the adv ice:
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

Wow, I wish I would have read this when I was attempting to take the manifold of our 250! I ended not doing it cuz' they just wouldn't come loose! How do you work down in there anyway?
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know what year your Ford is, but a friend of mine has a 2004 or so. They took out the inner fender (which is plastic, nice), put it in the air and took off the front tires. Piece of cake from there.
  13. augerandblade

:gunsfiring:Yes I took off the inner fender , removed the right side tire, truck is on stands , inside, :salute:: tunes cranked up on the surround sound stereo.:drinkup: whatsa matter you dontcha lika diz place , itsa not so bad,,,,,,,,,:jester:
  14. augerandblade

2 Days later I got all the studs out except the last one I tackled. :cool: Heated it red hot allowed it to cool, didnt work, :mad: heated the cylinder head around the stud ....:angry:......didnt work. Dont have mig so I ordered a stud extractor .........:confused:..........dont wanna start drilling and tapping.
  15. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I have heated the head around the stud and cooled the stud with canned air before, and that worked. I always presoak them with wintergreen oil, which is a great penetrant.
  16. augerandblade

Got the stud extracter, didnt help any better than a vise grip. But it has a better grip of the stud than the vise grip. Threw all the tricks of the trade that I know at it to loosen the last stud. Finally in desperation I turned the stud with the stud extracter into the block. And it moved slightly. Kept on working it now it will rotate about 3/4 or a turn . Still difficult to remove, wont turn out easily, am just gonna keep on trying to loosen it. What a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. augerandblade

:)Mission accomplished, I figured I spent about 3 hours on that last stud.:nod: When it was finally removed turned out that there was damage to the thread on the stud and I guess there was a very small piece of metal holdingit back and binding. However theres no damage to the thread on the block. :pThanks for all the advice. Hope this thread will be h elpful to anyone tackling this type of job.:drinkup:
  18. mow4cash

mow4cash Member

This is great info. Most of it i heard already but its great to have it all together in the same thread. Im going to be tackling this dreaded task pretty soon. Maybe people have suggestions on what studs,bolts,manifolds,headers to replace the old ones with. Im thinking of buying cheap manifolds and painting them with the high temp paint and top it off with stainless bolts.