1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Door Panel / Fixing Power Window

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by G.L. In Ont, Mar 24, 2011.

1. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont Member

Hello All,

As glad winter is over as I am??? :redbounce

Bought an awesome new (to me) 2003 Sierra but passenger side power window and door lock are not functional. Party I bought it from explained that the part (which I think he referred to as a regulator) was not expensive but tricky to remove/install.

Has anyone got any advice on how to remove the door panel, access the part and do the repair?

Also, is the power lock button being broken related to the power window not functioning or are these two seperate problems?

AS always, many thanks in advance.

Cheers all, GL :waving:

2. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

window regulators are a simple remove and replace. just a few bolts in the door panel, pop loose trim round door handle, unsnap switch panel and disconect wires. then lift up on the door panel (if its the same from a 2000). After disconecting misc wires and moving plastic use a scratch all to knock the cores of the rivets out that hold in the regulator. lower the window to point where u can see the fastners that attaches window to regulator (gm uses many different methods to acomplish this). carefully push window back up all the way and use masking tape to hold it in place. drill out rivets holding in regulator and remove from cavity. replace in reverse order. power locks should have nothing to do with window regulator. i'd check the fuse and relay for the door locks or take it to a body shop and have them figure that one out could be any number of problems causing door locks to not work. hope this helps and makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

See what I meant about the removing switch panel GL? That's how they get broken. :D

On the 03-07 trucks you have to remove the door panel first and remove the screw from the rear side of the switch panel in order to remove it without breakage. Not singling you out ajman, I just mention that very thing in the reply PM to GL on how they get broken on the 03-07 trucks..

4. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

Its fine like I said "if its the same as the 2000" mines a 2000 and that's the newest gm I've had to remove door panel on recently... Thus I said "if". I'm an auto body student and i see a lot of different door panels and regulators.

5. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I replaced 3 of these on my drivers side and 2 on the passenger side over a 10 year period. The last 3 I got from Napa and since they were lifetime I only paid for two. tHe 1st 2 the dealer got like $350 ea

6. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

350?! i hope that was including install?!

7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

With labor- finally figured I'd try myself and bingo now ~$125 but sold truck.