1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing cement from paint

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sgoalie23, Mar 11, 2006.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

Picked up a used F550 a week ago and left it with the plow dealer. Ford dealer then picked up the truck to do warranty work. Pick it up the other day and notice cement droplets on the passenger door and fender. None of the two facilities is having work done so it is possible that a cement truck got passed on the way to the dealer from the plow installer. Question-how do you safely remove the cement from the paint without scratching the paint or destroying the finish? I am going to try a pressure washer in hopes that the cement will come off easily after it becomes soaked.
    Mark

2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Get the cement wet and allow it to soak for a while.

Try the pressure washer, from a distance then slowly get closer. Be very careful, the cement may have compromised the top coat and the water pressure can peel it off.

If that doesn't do it, take a plastic putty knife and gently remove the cement. Then gently rub the area with some fine grit polishing compound. Wax or glaze to finish it up.

3. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

I have used WD-40 for tar and road paint before and it worked well. Not sure how it would work on cement but I dont think it would hurt anything

4. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

cement

hydrochloric acid dissolves cement. dilute it with water,it should foam when you apply it use a soft brush to work it in.might not come off in one wash.use before you wash truck,it will come off sooner or later.

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Acid, Oil, and jet blasting a new paint finish??????:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Just take your thumb nail and pop the spots up and off. The cement can't bond that well to such a smooth surface and should just pop right off with out any damage.

All of the other methods described involve brushing, scrubing, and other things that run a much higher risk of scratching the finish.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would just make Ford detail it or take it to a detailer. It was in their hands they are responsible. No way I would have even left the lot like that.

7. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

cement

acid is what concrete companies use to clean their trucks,as long you wash it off.you spray your rims with a cleaner? your using acid . but dealer got it dirty I would chase them to clean it.

8. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Acid of any kind will affect the clear coat. If not done quickly, you can haze the finish. Yes, people that use wheel cleaners, usually get spots from the cleaner that take a good polishing (using high speeds) to get out.

I agree witht the finger nail method. It has always worked for me.

9. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

wd40 will work but may take couple times ,it will get behind the concrete but be patient.
    we use muriatic acid to remove concrete sometimes(we pour ,color and stamp concrete) but be careful ,dilute it .
    then get a cleaner wax and some auto body clay and rub out if it does get a scratch
    auto body clay is for body shops it removes overspray and imperfections just like silly putty.look into it from auto paint house(it has to be used with a spray wax or cleaner )