1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Boss A-Frame.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lawnlandscape, Feb 4, 2015.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

We have a bent Boss A-Frame. In the past we have brought this in to be repaired/replaced. This time we want to try to do it ourselves. However, I see no videos, pictures or even text step by step instructions on how to do this.

Is anyone aware of anything that would help us figure out how to do this? Have you ever done it? Care to share a step by step?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

it' kind of straight forward.
    I give it a very easy...DYI project.

3. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

We did our first ever last week. It's a bit intimidating at first, but once you get it apart, you'll be amazed how simple it all is. Ours was actually torn and in horrible shape, so we wanted to repair it ourselves in order to beef it up, instead of buying another one to beat up.

The main things is just to beat out the ~1" pin that holds it to the plow. We found it much easier to do with the plow still on a truck, so that we could push the wings into a scoop. At some point you'll have to unhook the hydraulic lines and the blades will pull back into a V, so loosen the lines slowly and be prepared for the springs to pull them in.

A tip that helped us out a bunch was to slide a floor jack under the frame to support it when it came time to line everything up and put it back together.

Lots of tight spaces unhooking the trip springs and crawling around everything, but not an especially hard job.

Probably took us two hours to get everything apart, 3 hour bill from the welder who actually made the repairs, and another couple hours to hook everything up, some of which was getting the trip springs tensioned right and adding hydraulic fluid.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

V plow or straight blade? I did my v in 3 hours start to finish

5. lawnlandscape

SnoFarmer, thank you for your absolutely useless response. Much appreciated.

John Roscoe, thanks for all the detail. May defiantly come in very helpful!

alldayrj, its a V.

UPDATE: So, after taking the plow off the truck it was clear the A frame was bent, however it was not belt as badly as some we have had in the past. What we ended up doing was adjusting the bumper stop to see if we could get the plow to sit more level with the slightly bent a frame. It worked pretty well, it sits almost level to the ground in every position except with the wings both back which is a pretty useless position when plowing for the most part anyway. When putting it down one side does hit the ground first still, which may lead to problems because there will obviously be more down pressure on that side.

However, we also made the trip springs a little tighter on the side that it slightly leans to which helped a hair more.

We are going to run it like this for a snow event and see how well it works. If it scraps well, we are probably not going to replace the A frame unless it gets worse. But, we'll see how this 'band-aid' works.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Replacing it should be in the owners manual.

I'm a western guy, never work on boss's. changed out "Pushing to Please" boss last year, took couple hours. Piece of cake.

7. alldayrj

Heres how i did it.
    Remove all the springs
    Unbolt the hydraulics off the wings and the bottom of the lift cylinder. Dont disconnect the lines
    Remove the cotter pins holding the tower to the a frame
    Have teo guys or one big one lift the whole tower off the a frame and lean it against the wall. You carry the two cylinders so the hoses dont get wrecked
    Pull the wings forward into scoop and prop it up safely
    Beat the pivot pin out
    Put in new a frame and run back through all these steps

This way you dont have hydro fluid everywhere. I guess you could try it with leaving the tower on the truck but it would be a pain to get the springs off

8. lawnlandscape

thanks for the step by step guys. This is what I was looking for

9. alldayrj

No problem. This is the best piece of equipment i have ever worked on. You can dissassemble the whole thing with two wrenches very easily

10. lawnlandscape

Now, they just need to make a stronger a-frame. 3rd bent in 3 years.

11. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Then you could replace your truck. Something's got to give.

12. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

You must have some bad luck. :eek:

I have used BOSS from when they had lift chains and have never bent one. Thumbs Up

13. lawnlandscape

Ya.... Well.. Never bent one myself. Employees are ********