1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing bolts from leaf spring bushings.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xgiovannix12, Jan 12, 2014.

1. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Any 1 got a trick for removing a bolt from a leaf spring bushing?? I normally heat them with my torch but ran out of gas. :mad:

The bushings are good so im trying to save them. Any ideas?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Press. Lots of lube. Are the bolts turns in the bushing? Or is the bushing turning in the spring?

3. xgiovannix12

Nope the bushing is not turning sadly The springs are still on the truck. Unless I put the whole truck on the press :D

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Air hammer

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Air hammer maybe?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Without massive surgery I'm at a loss. You wanna save the bolt and the bushing. You might have to sacrifice something to get the job done .......easily

7. xgiovannix12

true enough Ill try an air hammer. if that dont work Im going to torch them out.

Thanks guys

8. GONZO911

GONZO911 Member

You could try running bolt back and forth with impact until the bolt starts to move in the bushing. Many times the rubber will break free from spring before the bolt loosens from the sleeve. Also could try a press like a ball joint press and use it to start the bolt moving.

9. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Ball joint press. I just did that last week. I destroyed the shackle and cut both ends off the bolt, then pressed it out with the ball joint press. The steel liner of the rubber bushing came out along with the bolt. I heated and beat and got the bolt out of the steel liner, then pressed that back in and assembled everything with the new shackle.

Doing any kind of spring work in salt country, you need to be prepared to destroy and replace everything, then whatever parts you save become a bonus.

10. xgiovannix12

I got it all done I got my tanks filled and put new bushings in