1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing baffle on Trynex VeePro??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by natureboy, Jan 29, 2004.

1. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

I just searched and read a long post about guys removing the baffle over the auger for better flow. Just wanting to know if its best to take it off completely or cut it back a few inches. Also, those of you who took it off, when you got loaded, didnt salt just fall out through the hole (which the baffle covers) and down the chute?? I've just taken mine off and threw a couple shovels of salt in there and watched it fall right out so Im not sure what to do. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. ghost

ghost Member

vbox 8000

where did you read that post at i would like to try the same thing

3. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

The baffel over the auger should be in two pieces. You can remove one of them if need be. Like you said, bigger the hole, faster the free flow of material.

Most are removing the inverted VEE that the vibrator fastens too. We took ours out, cut it off the bracket with the 4 holes that the vibrator bolts to and replaced. Works a lot better. We are running bulk salt from the local DOT.

We tried removing one of the lower baffels but ended up putting it back in after the VEE was removed. Try it. Good luck.

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

DON"T remove the baffle plate for dry salt it will just flow out the auger chute!, the baffle plate it's flat and covers the first 2/3 of the auger, if the hopper is full, or while driving it will empty it. Remove it if you are spreading wet or damp sand to get a better spread pattern. You can cut an inch or so off it to get more flow to the auger. I found removing the V if you loaded the spreader the nite before, and plowed, resulted in the auger jamming for the first few times, running the vibrator on start up , would help the auger spin.

Bill

5. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Have 1 baffle on but 2 vibrators......... works good!

Only about 2/3 the rate of flow as a "v box" but still adequate salt volume.

ChicagoSnow

6. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

my rate is only half of a full v box. I am going to try a custom pre wet unit. If the salt is stronger than the low feed and capactity will not mater. I notice a big difference just using treated salt.

7. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Why not go to treated salt, Magic or caliber, that's what I use and cut you flow rate , by setting the auger speed to 65, and get better results?

Bill

8. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

I cut off 1.5 inches off the end of lower baffle. Works great. Get more salt flow now and better control with spinner too when salting narrow lanes.

9. ChicagoSnow

What do you mean "lower baffle"??????????

ChicagoSnow

10. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

Sorry. I simply mean the baffle directly over the auger. Not the inverted V everyones mentioning.

11. ChicagoSnow

The salt doesnt fall/leak down to the spinner with the shortened baffle?

ChicagoSnow

12. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

If you only cut off 1.5 inches, theres no spillage at all. It still covers enough of the auger that the salt doesn't get through. I wouldnt cut off any more.