1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removing aluminum wheels

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BLACK86, Oct 9, 2001.

1. BLACK86

BLACK86 Junior Member

This weekend I tried to rotate the tires on my 1999 F250 Super Duty. I was unable to remove the wheels. The wheels are aluminum, the wheels appeared to be bonded to the hub and maybe the face of the brake rotor. This is the case for both the front and back wheels. I have tried rust penetratant, (10lb) hammer and block of wood. Has any one out there had this problem? Any tips on how to remove the wheels?

Thank in Advance

Paul Deane

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have had this problem with steel wheels but not with Aluminum. All I can suggest is to continue working with a block of wood and a hammer or sledge. This worked for me.

3. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

Hit the back side of the rubber with a good size sledge hammer.works for me.

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

We get this a lot at work. What I would do is put one lug nut back on partially (to keep the wheel from going airborn once it comes off), and then just beat the crap out of that tire. Once it pops off, clean off the hub with wire brush, and then put some anti-seize on it. Should keep it clean for quite a while.

Tim

5. jjdonovan

jjdonovan Guest

Have you tried bbacking off all lugs except two opposing ones

We got this all the time when I worked in a garage.
    take all but two lugs off. have those lugs two threads away from bottoming out,(fully tightened). put the truck back on the pavement accelerate forward slam on brakes. Try this forward and reverse.Usually this pops them right off.Do not hit the rim with hammer!!I have seen all to many bent rims and idots that have smashed themselves in the face on the rebound. A little tip when you reinstall the rim put a light coat off ,ANTI-SIEZE
    on the back side of the rim.Problem will never return.jj

6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Good point... we did this once on a Limo Bus. We're not saying get going 50mph and then slam on the brakes, just idle forward and then stop abruptly to help break the wheel loose from the hub. I would use more than two lugs though, maybe put em all back in, but leave them a little loose. Good luck!

Tim