1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

removing a western HTS?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jerseydrew, Mar 23, 2015.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

gonna trade in the truck soon and want to remove the plow. the mount itself looks super easy to remove. i am just worried about all the wiring. is it really difficult to remove it all?

looks like two battery hookups, the controller wires into the cab and all the lights. is there anything else or anything tricky i have to worry about?
  2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Not really....just pick a harness and start chasing until its all removed....probably take an hour or two with little to no experience doing an install.
  3. Bill1090

Bill1090 PlowSite Veteran

Its really not bad. The worst part is getting your hands in to reach some of them. Like said below, just start following and unhooking. Took me right around 20 minutes to remove my wiring.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

All wires unplug except for the two signals and the park light taps that you will just cut. If you want to do a good job get a bit of heat shrink and seal off the end of the cut wires. As said above, 20 minutes in most cases. Late model GMs (especially with dual batteries) can be hard to get at the drivers side headlight and signal. If that's what you have pull the battery and the tray, then remove the top bolt from the windshield washer bottle and then pry it out far enough to get your hand in there.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  5. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

got it all out! took me about an hour cause the installers used about 3 bags worth of zip ties. was very tidy but lots of cutting. i wound up taking the headlights out and dealing with it that way. much easier then tearing up my hands.

only casualty was a clip on the grill getting it off.