1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

removing a starter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Dec 23, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I have a 96 3/4 ton cheyenne, with a 305 in it. I got one of the two bolts out, the other is way out, but just keeps spinning and wont come out totally. The starter itself is loose, but wont come free. Am I missing something?

2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

hmmm. hopefully the bolt has a couple damaged threads, Can you put a vice grips on the end of the bolt and pull while your turning it out?

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I got the bolt out, but now the starter is just wedged in there. The bolts are both out, but the wires are all still connected (not sure how many will need to come off) and I cant get to the wires with it the way it is.

4. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

try popping it out of there with a mallet or something, it should drop out of there.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Pry it out. All the wires have to come off to replace it anyway.
    The starter is stuck in the flywheel.

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Why you need remove that starter? it broke?

I did on chevy 350 it just 2 bolts and 2 wires on it. That one was easy to do than Ford 4.9L that have exhaust cover it.

if it stuck then try mallet or long screwdriver to pry it.