1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

remove rust stains from stainless sander?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bullit340, Jan 15, 2014.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Any tricks to remove rust from a stainless sander? Its quite a bit so I am looking for more of a large scale removal option

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Try Comet and a S.O.S pad. It needs some elbow grease but it works pretty well.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

maybe try CLR
  4. Caterpillar307

Caterpillar307 Junior Member
    from Wyoming

Had a traveling salesman come by my shop one day this summer when I was actually around and he had some stuff, I still think it's snake oil, but I'll give it credit it does do a pretty good job. Takes off rust stains real good, and does a decent job on asphalt too. The look on the guy's face when it wouldn't take off airport asphalt from my dump bed was priceless though! I'll get the name off of it when I get out to my shop tomorrow morning. I'm pretty sure it was some sort of pyramid scheme at the distributorship level, he tried his damndest to get me to buy a whole case of 12 bottles, but I talked him into selling me 3 bottles after some negotiating, I never did get a card, or any contact info from him either, so I tested it out on stuff that I didn't care / was probably going to get sandblasted and painted anyways.
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Zep, agent orange.
  6. bswalks

bswalks Member

Scotchbrite pad
  7. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

a couple of stainless steel scouring pads and a electric buffer, a couple cans of stainless steel cleaner at a restaurant supple house and you will have the shiniest spreader
  8. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

clr and a scotchbrite bad worked awesome -thanks
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

X 2. It can be purchased at Lowe's.
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Try this ^^ with a Scotch Brite pad or even try some steel wool with a bit of soapy water or the CLR
  11. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

we use acid on the all the stainless on commercial fishing boat and and lobster boats

it will clean the stainless like new. you can apply it with a cheap pump sprayer. face mask, eye protection and gloves .

cut it 50/50 and let it sit for 20 minutes

hit it with a cheap scrub brush on a handle.

wash off
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  12. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

That's what he used. He even posted this two posts up from yours. :)
  13. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

Wd40 and a scrubby pad. Cheap, you prob have kicking around the shop, and all you need is some elbow grease