1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remove plow for summer

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by riderman42, Mar 14, 2010.

1. riderman42

riderman42 Junior Member
    from ohio

Ok guys I hate to continue to ask questions and feel like a newbie but again I have another question.:help:

My friend and I were able to remove the blade from the truck for the winter which is a good thing. I also want to remove the piece that holds the blade, the plow pump, and the lights.

This piece attaches by two tubes inserted into two other tubes and secured by heavy pins. The pins are secured by coter pins.

We removed both coter pins and removed the heavy pins that insert into the tubes coming from the plow bar into the plow tubes for the underbelly of the truck. I hope you guys can picture this in your head. Anyway guess what the left side refuses to budge no matter what we tried. The right tube was stubborn at first but finally broke free and moved. We believe the left side is being stubborn because the plow blade has more wear on the left side. We assume they always plowed to the left.

We tried pulling it pounding it bottle pumps, and heating it. It just will not move. Any ideas? Is it better to remove it from the frame of the truck or is there another option that we dont know to do? I dont want to damage the plow bar or the truck. Thanks again for all your help Jake!

Here is the Truck

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=100832

2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey left you a message on your other post send me a email. To the problem at hand its rust holding the lift frame to the mount carton its a pain to get apart the only thing is to soak it with kroil oil or pb blaster it will take a while for it to work its way thru.

plow mount.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  3. riderman42

riderman42 Junior Member
    from ohio

Wow thanks again that is really helpful diagram - We did try PB blaster and your right it's a pain to get the parts apart.

Regarding the sub contracting I left a message in the other forum saying I live in Liberty township and that I would have to pass but my buddy who has one winter under his belt as a sub contractor and would probably be interested. He lives in New Richmond has a meyer plow like mine and it's on a ford 250. He likes it a lot and could use the extra income. Mind if I give him your info to contact you?

4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

It will take some days for it to work but keep spraying it every day and yes send him my info. Eric.....:mechanic:

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i'd give fluid film a try my friend

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

x2. I agree...

7. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

IMO fluid film would be better to coat things with after you get them apart to keep it from rusting again, PB blaster or kroil are made to penetrate rust

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid Film penetrates rust VERY well. Needs a little time, but does the job:D

9. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

NEver tried it for penatrant (I use it on a lot of other stuff), it just seems too thick top be as effective. I'll have to give it a try though

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

fluid film contains no solvents therefor is not a fast acting penetrant however because it contains no solvent it doesn't evaporate like the others which means more bang for your buck, smaller amounts used to get the job done and longer lasting applications everytime

11. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Fluid Film will certainly do the job. The advantage with the non-solvent application is that it will continue to penetrate and migrate where other products won't. PB is a good penetrant, but if it doesn't work right away it evaporates off the surface. Fluid Film will continue to work for literally months on end.

12. riderman42

riderman42 Junior Member
    from ohio

thanks for the ideas guys - im willing to try anything at this point :

13. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Keep trying and grease it up good IF you get it off. I did not take mine off the first summer I got it and it has been on ever since. PB blaster, ATF and acetone even heating it up red hot with torches trying a chain around it and and trying to yank it off with the back hoe. In fact, over the years I have lost the pins in the snow that hold the blade on and took the pins out of that receiver to hold the plow on. I have probably plowed (just my own driveway, truck is off the road) for 3 years with no pins in the receiver and it has not moved at all forward or back. I check it every year.

14. riderman42

riderman42 Junior Member
    from ohio

That's about the same boat I am in Clint. I have nothing holding this bar on since all the pins are removed. We tried the tractor with chains, the PB blaster, the liquid wrench, and the touch, - that sucker is on there for good i think. I am going this weekend to a store that sells the FILM stuff and will let you guys know. I went to a plow place yesterday and they guy said he doesnt think its coming off. The truck is a 95 and was owned by a university. I am thinking all though I dont know for sure that they never took the plow bar off since they put it on in 95. Got to say one thing for myer they are built to last

15. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

You can try FF , but I do not think it's coming off. You could pull the mounting carton and see if you could access it from the back.

16. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

2" receiver on our truck. insert had not been out in god knows how many years. heated it up with the torch and wailed away with a 10lb sledge hammer. could not budge it at all. got my sample of fluid film from dano and sprayed it in there. 2 days later i sprayed some more. picked up the sledge and wailed that sob. it came flying out of the reciever tube like nothing. that was like 13 or 14 months ago and it's still sliding in and out with ease:drinkup:

17. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

This is another thing that I have learned from Plow Site. I got a sample of Fluid Film from Dano and being that I had a gate at our Sportsmens club that was so rusted, that I had to put both hands on it and use my legs to push it open.
    I sprayed it and worked it a bit back and forth and it was better. Came back the next day and it was too loose and slippery. That was three years ago and to this day all I have to do is push the big steel gate with my fingers and it goes flying. In fact I had to put some stops to keep it from spinning around.

Needles to say, I then bought a case of it and use it on everything. My plow, truck, car and my house.

18. riderman42

riderman42 Junior Member
    from ohio

bought fluid film on friday - sprayed on friday - hammered - sprayed some more on Saturday - hammered, sprayed on sunday - hammered and pullled with tractor- did not even budge - i say she is on there for good