1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

removal pricing : anyone ever priced it by the cubic yard???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grassmanvt, Jul 31, 2005.

1. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have a contract to re-bid in the next few days, most of it pretty much the same as usual but, they have decided to go to a per/yard removed price for snow removal instead of the typical hourly rates. I have the advantage of expierience and even prior experience at this particular site but I have never bid removal this way and am wondering if anyone has and what they have for a number. Obviously, it will depend on equipment used and probably the biggest factor would be proximaty of the dump site but if someone has some rough numbers I would like to plug them into my situation and see if my numbers are anywhere close to mine, that is , when I get a chance to figure them out. Thanks.
  2. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We used to have to remove snow from a condo site. I subbed it out to a hauling company who has tiaxles. Typically, triaxles aren't busy on a snow day so I rememebr the charge being reasonable.. They charged me by the tiaxle and I billed t&m for filling the tri axle.
  3. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, we do all our removal billing by the load. I sub it all out because I don't have dump trucks, but it is pretty comon in our area to bill that way. Hourly rate doesn't mean squat when everyone has different sized/aged equipment and operators. You charge by the load and people can understand what you are charging them. I guess most loads are about 12-14 yards (I believe) with a good sized dump. The contractors I use have a good idea of how many loads they can do in an hour with their equipment so it works well.
  4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

any chance you remember what you were getting per load?
  5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, but it could be very different where you are. We charge $65 /load plus any dumping fees (usually $10) that we have to pay. That may not help much because I know that geography plays an important role in pricing, where I charge $20 for a driveway, I know some guys on this board could get double that where they are, so the pricing is all relative. To hire a truck and driver here by the hour would cost me $55 /hr, a backhoe or small front end loader would be $65 /hr.
  6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks, all input helps. I have been pushing snow for a few years and this is the first time I have run into this "per yard" scenario so its nice to have something to campare to.
  7. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

60$ a yard for us.....or 110 a ton
  8. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

$60 a yard?!?!?! No way!! I'd be out there with my pickup and a shovel haulin it at that rate.. You DO realize they're talkin cubic yards and not the yard in front of your house..

Up here, you basically tell them the costs of the dump and loader and any dumping fees and maybe add a few bucks for the hassle to coordinate it all.. Not a lot of profit in hauling when the trucks charge you $55 an hour and the loader with operator charges $90 an hour..

Leave the haulin to the trucking companies..
  9. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Seems high

$60 a cubic yard seems high. That would mean a tri-axle dump for 1 load would cost at least $1200-$1320. Loaded in at least 15 minutes, if the pile was easily accessible would be $4800-$5280 an hour if you were loading 1 truck every 15 minutes. Man that is steep. You sure that is per cubic yard? and not by the hour. If it is I would buy a truck right now and run it all winter trying to pick up snow piles anywhere!